Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 won't take static IP but DHCP is no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

burncoRP

MIS
Jun 4, 2015
CA
Long time lurker, first time joiner.

I've got a really strange issue with a BCM 50 that I have seen happen before. It simply won't take a static IP. Everything is correct. It's rebooted and it reverts back to the original IP. I did all this through the OAM port.

I just had it happen on one today. I got it to finally get on the network by selecting DHCP. It grabbed an addy and worked perfectly. At that point I figured everything was working and I'd apply a static. It just wouldn't take the static. Yes I made sure it wasn't in use by pinging it so it wasn't a dup. At least after the DHCP assigment it kept reverting to the DHCP addy so I could get to it from the network.

Anybody have any ideas why it's doing this? I had it happen with another one in Ft Mac and I never even tried to use DHCP. To this day it has it's old addy but the subnet, gateway and DNS servers that I set. Bizarre! I think if I did try with DHCP it would have worked but no static allowed after that.

I did do this successfully at another plant so I'm not sure why some will take a static and some will not.

It's a BCM50 at R3 from what I can tell.

If I could get to the Linux in the background I think I could find out the answer but that seems almost impossible from what I've read on here. They should have exposed the OS for just this reason to make it a bit easier to deal with but what can I say?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can give some insight into this.

P.S. Yes, I have searched the forum and the web in search of some insight with absolutely no luck. That's how I know I need a proprietary dongle to access the kernel on this thing.

what do you get when the IP address is set using Element Manager?

That's what I've been using, Element Manager. Either through OAM or the network. All changes to IP were done through the OAM port using BEM.

I had this happened on 2 out of 12 new deployments, our vendor at the time couldn't fix it and neither could Nortel support - they tried reloading the software image and when that didn't work, concluded it was a corrupted OS and provide a replacement. Good luck

Thanks yyrkroon, that's what I'm leaning to. I've done about 5 of these BCMs and the static wouldn't stick on 2 of them.

So much for the great reliability and dependability of Phone Equipment. Phone equipment frightens me. [bigsmile]

I'm one of the IT guys at my company and I hate working with phone equipment. I'm forced to because of circumstances. Believe me I'd much rather rely on a Telco person for all phone stuff but it's not going to happen any time soon. At least some training would be nice...

You have stated that the BCM 50 is at release 3.0. What version of Element Manager are you using?. I tend to use two different versions.

One which is the old Nortel one what should be fine for your release 3.0 version and also the Avaya one which should by rights work for all releases, but I do do that you sometimes get odd things happen.

I'm guessing that you have already downloaded the latest version via the link below.

I've never come across your problem yet, but I would try out the changing from different EM versions and perhaps another computer.

Generally speaking, once the IP address has changed, you will have to disconnect and reconnect via EM.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Sorry, I should have put that in the OP.

Nortel Business Element Manager
Version 61.0.1

With the unit in Ft Mac, I don't think it would have mattered. A tech from a local telco tried to set it as well and it wouldn't stick. In addition, I walked an employee through setting the IP through a handset and no joy. When you can't set it through the handset THAT'S a problem.

The real pity is that the Linux that runs these boxes isn't more exposed. If I could get to the command line I think I could fix it...or at least find out what's wrong.

What I find truly disturbing is that I talked with a couple of Telcos we deal with and they don't even carry the dongle to get into the system with. It must cost a fortune or something.

You should be able to go in via the OA&M port. log in with admin rights and do a factory restore of the Network only. It will reset just the network information and nothing else. I've had to do this a few times when I ran into the same problem. Fixed the issue every time.

Just make sure that the only item that is checked off is the Network.

Thanks a million Telcodog but details, details, I need details please.

I've got no problem jacking into the OAM but at that point what do I use? I'm assuming not BEM as I've spent some time with that app and never seen that option. I've got the admin credentials to the box as well.

Do I use the web app and look for a particular app on the administration page?

Telnet or SSH or something else?

Once you login. go to the Administration tab. Open up the backup/restore menu and select restore. If I recall correctly, the default option is BCM. Just click the down arrow and select factory default. It's a little unnerving when you click on it but don't worry, you will be presented with another screen where you'll see a bunch of options with check marks beside them. They will all be checked by default so just uncheck all of them except the network one and proced.

As always, do a full backup before proceeding.

Alright! I've seen the area you talk about, I just never thought you'd be prompted with options on what to restore. I thought would be all or nothing.

I'm doing a full backup now. You know, it's never been backed up. These phone systems are really taken for granted. Hoping the stress on the HDD doesn't lunch it.

After the backup I'm going to wait until after-hours some day next week to perform the operation.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I just did a dry run-through. Man Telcodog, you weren't kidding, that was scary! I nearly soiled my pants before I got the list.

I'm glad I did it though because I've got another question now. What do I leave checked?

Data services and network interfaces - I'd say yes.

LAN CTE - I'm not sure. It doesn't help that I have no idea what CTE is.

I would advise that you download the latest version of Element Manager from the link in my last reply.

I have also known corruption in certain areas and as was stated above, make sure that you untick everything and only tick the networking area. It will tell you if a reboot is required before you apply the changes.

Are you accessing the BCM 50 at nnadmin level?. I'm guessing that the latest patches for the 3.0 software were applied which I think are..

BCM50 3.0
==================================

PATCH ID: BCM050.R300.SU.Desktop-265.201110 Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM50R3_FactoryImageUpgrade Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM050.R300.UBOOT-214 Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM050.R300.AMP-COLUMBIA-177 Category: LTD
PATCH ID: BCM050.R300.AMP-SOUTH-KOREA-149 Category: LTD
PATCH ID: BCM050.R300.SOFTWARE-MANAGEMENT-63 Category: GEN
PATCH ID: BCM050.R300.SU.System-270.201205 Category: GEN

I would also set up a weekly or Monthly USB backup with a 4gig FAT32 USB memory card left in there.

It's nearly always the hard disk that fails on BCM 50's and it costs peanuts these days to use a USB.

Firebird Scrambler

Just leave "Data services and network interfaces" ticked.

Also it's a good idea to extract the programming record and I save mine in Excel format. It takes a while, but is worth it.

Firebird Scrambler

Thanks Firebird, your reputation proceeds you. I've read many of your very helpful posts on this forum. You, TelcoDog and a few others here are real telephony gurus.

Unfortunately Java won't permit me to use that app on Firefox. Even after an update and making a security exception in the Java control panel doodad. I hate Java. BUT, a simple browser change permitted it and I'm downloading now. Installed. Oooo, fancy! Avaya all over everything. At 62.0.5 now.

I'm using an admin account but not nnadmin. It is in the administrator group so no problem.

Patches:

patchhistory_avw7xy.png

I'm going to take your advice on the USB drive. I'm sure the company will thank me later if we lose one of these boxes.

About extracting the programming record. I'm assuming that's in the backup as one of the tar files. That could be interesting to look at.

To be honest, we're having some minor problems with the phone system and looking at the programming will be interesting. I have a call into our Telco to fix it but if I beat them to the punch...

Yes, Data Services and Network Interfaces. Leave only that one checked and proceed.

No worries, If your system is way out of date, then I would install the latest version. There were many bugs and you might even find your problem is fixed if this site and the others are all at release 3.0.

Java is a real problem. Once in Element Manager and logged in, go to the top under "Session" then save Programming record and finally save all data and I use Excel. It can take around 45 minutes to complete.

Firebird Scrambler

Yes patch it all up to the latest before you tackle the problems.

See my list for the latest patches, look for your system:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.tek-tips.com/faq.cfm?pid=1361[/url]

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back