Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 R2. Softphone access on roaming laptop - How easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macoles

Technical User
Aug 14, 2005
US
Sorry to ask this vague question but I am not getting the answers I need from my supplier. Living in an island 9 x 5 miles in the middle of the English Channel you get a bit strapped for help sometimes.

I want to have a softphone on my laptop so when I am travelling, subject to internet access I can take calls as if I was in the office.

I know that theoretically this is all possible but how easy is it to actually achieve?

My supplier will not set up the VPN and wants me to do it and they will then come in and load the software and if it doesn't work then the problem is my end not theirs. They want me to have a new Cisco router 877 installed to replace my current 800 which is a good few British bucks.

I did search the forum for info on this but most postings were very specific issues. Can anyone give me a gut feeling as to the liklihood of me achieving my aim?

Secondly is there any liklihood that the softphone will work if I am using a Wi-fi access arrangement?

Thanks guys you do a great job and I am so hooked on the forum I am logging in and reading problems and solutions almost daily - I think I may need some mental help!!

RE BCM 50 RLS2

Hi I am now being told by my Vendor that because I am running a Netgear firewall that the softphone on laptop scenario will not work. The reason being given is that we use a firewall that is independant of our Cisco 877 router. Bit late to be telling me this now.

Common sense tells me there are systems set up in the world that have independant fire walls and softphone accessing through laptops! The Firewall we have is a Netgear FVX538 if that helps in a reply.

I am confident in this Nortel product but would appreciate guidance. Am being told its up to me to arrange the VPN to the Netgear. Does this mean once that VPN is setup to the firewall that connection to the BCM is straightforward? I am confused (being a layman) as I thought the VPN would need to be to the BCM? Though I guess that ip softphones are on our network and what we are doing with a remote version is simply connecting to our network rather than the BCM itself. Can someone clarify for my benefit?

Am very frustrated with this because this project has been going on for months and I am moving forward at less than snails pace. I believe the bottom line is the local phone company and vendor dont want to lose revenue on forwarded calls! Small town monopoly thinking probably.

Bearing in mind I was charged 116 pounds labour for a basic install of a softphone on our in office network you can understand my frustrations and that charging on a 48 pound product is excessive in my opinion. But I digress!!

All help appreciate as I love this system and what it does for us and this is being marred a little by my vendor - no vendor choice on the island!

Oohhh I seem to have posted this in the wrong forum! All help appreciated but will cross post under Nortel BCM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back