Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 4.0 Cannot access element manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

httyuwma

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2007
US
When trying to access the Elements Manager we get the following error: Detector 'BCMMDetector' cannot determine the device type for [out ip address]

Unified manager and BCM Monitor work so I know we can get to the box. Nortel states they are aware of this issue and do not have a solution yet.

Is there anyway to do a back up with out going through the Elements Manager?

Has anyone else heard of this issue?

I just noticed someone else posted about this today! Rebooting does not help in our case. We tried multiple times.

I've got this problem on one of my customer sites also. Nortel advised me that they're probably going to come out with a patch (date unknown) and that the solution in the mean time is to replace the hard drive.

I was fortunate to have a fairly recent backup before the problem started happening as to my knowledge there is no way to do a backup without Element Manager.

Is Nortel willing to cover the cost of replacing the hardrive and rebuilding the system if necessary?

With the ticket number I was able to get a RMA hard drive to put that in. We just have to eat the labour cost. At least not all of the programming informations is stored on the hard drive and mostly the voicemail, call centre, and keycodes are affected so the labour time is not too bad.

Is there anyway to manually copy the voice mail files and replace after rebuilding the system without using the element manager?

Were these New 4.0 BCM's or has anyone had this issue with a BCM that has been upgraded to 4.0?

We had a similar issue, the tech reloaded the element mgr from the upgraded box and was then able to get in.

DueE

There is a new service update patch out for the bcm400-4.0 bcm 200-4.0.
It covers an abundance of PEPS that the bcm needs.
Your technical service provider should be able to provide this to you from the Nortel website. One of these peps is for element manager.

My site was a new BCM 400 Release 4.

I just replaced the hard drive in it, did a restore from my backup and everything is all happy.

Line Monitor now works in BCM Monitor, which was the first sign of a problem in this BCM and we are now able to connect with Element Manager again.

Jamerein, Our BCM Monitor is still working, as is Call Pilot.

Hawks, Our system was an upgrade from 3.7 to 4.0.

Speakerboy, I did read the details of the patch and it does not cover this issue.

We will be going to hard drive route. The problem is that all our VM files will be lost. I am thinking of saving them through Unified Messenger to Outlook and then sending them back to the user when the system is repaired. And input on this?

What worries me is that this may happen again as Nortel does not know the cause. I suggest that all users make daily backups and test the Element Manager daily.

We were waiting for Nortel's patch on this but it still has not come out. We will perform the Hard drive replacement this weekend and rebuild the system from scratch.

I would like to know if there is a way to get the system configuration files without using the Elements Manager.

Has anyone checked JAVA level and reinstalled Element Manager from the BCM?

I have about 20-25 BCM 4.0s and 50s and reinstalling from the unit works every time and my JAVA is 1.5.

Can you expand on this, do you mean Java on the BCM or machine logging in? How do I check/install?

JAVA on the PC to log in. 1.6 doesn't work with Unified Manager and I have heard from others that it affects Element Manager as well. Better to keep it at 1.5 until a fix is released.

Also, re-install the EM from the machine you are working on over top of your existing install. It keeps all your connection entries and works like a charm for the "can't access" issues that we see posted so often. That is, of course, unless there is a greater problem afoot.

MagnaRGP. Thanks for your suggestions. I did as you suggested and still have the same issue. Is there any way to get the system configs without using the Element Manager?

I just had a similar issue. When looking at the telephony branch there was no way to expand the header. No active sets etc. I uninstalled the 1.6 Java and everything works.

NARSBARS

I just had a case with Nortel for this exact trouble. They know the issue is there, and they had to rebuil the RPM database. Only 2nd level Nortel Techs can fix this. I worked with John Carmicheal. If you go to BCM monitor and it says "package, system release not installed" werer the version should be, Then only Nortel can fix it. Mine was a BCM400 release 4.0.2.01a.

Nortel dialed in to the BCM loaded a revised RPM database and all was great. Hope you have a way to contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back