Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad records 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDLU

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2003
US
I have about 4 records that are marked #Deleted across each field- including the AutoNumber. I tried using the Datasheet view to delete these records (right-click, delete...) but as soon as I close and reopen the form, they are back. In addition, I have one record with the autonumber -1 and nothing else in any field that I can't get rid of either (Access won't even let me right-click, delete!).

The annoying part is that they show up in my queries and reports, etc. Is there a way to get rid of them once and for all?

Jaymunda,

you may have a linked table with referential integrity and the message that you cannot delete the record has been suppressed by the programmer.
Hope that helps,

georgp

[tt]
Hi:

George is probably right. But if you still need to work it out...

I'd first be 100% sure I had a back up table.

Then I'd build a make-table query, selecting all the "good" records and make the new table with them. The make-table query deletes the old table, and reconstructs it with the selected records in the original fields, original properties.[/tt]

[glasses][tt]Gus Brunston - Access2000(DAO)
Skill level based on 1-10: 7, on the way to 6, and beyond!
Webmaster: www.rentdex.com[/tt]

about the first reply: everything in the database is self-contained within the same .db file, so there are no external links, but the table does have relationships within it. Would that be within the scope of your explanation?

Jaymunda,

certainly. Make a copy of your db and delete the relationship of this particular table. I am sure you can then delete your records and eventually re-create the relationship, but - as mentioned - make sure to have a copy because you may have destroyed some integrity rules of the db design and the recreation of the relationsship will not be easily possible. But that is hard to predict without knowing the db details.

Regards, georg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back