Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BAD COPY OF XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2002
US
The copy of xp that I am running I got from a friend who told me it was a corporate copy. I am having multiple errors and I am not sure if it stems from this copy of xp or something else. The first error is internet explorer windows pops up constantly. Some sites will not come up all I get is a blank page. That is only a couple of the errors, I just need to know if any one out there is familiar with what would happen when your running a bad copy of xp.

Sorry dude, but you are running a pirated copy of XP and no one anywhere is going to help you !!

Murray

Thanks I had a strong feeling that was the problem. I needed someone to confirm it for me. I had already bought a copy of XP from Best buys and was hesitant about using it til I was sure it is the OS.

Thanks again

When you install the Best Buy legit copy of XP, do so as a clean install. Your problem is a virus.

hey bcastner,
What is this about a virus? I plan on doing a upgrade not full installation.

Clean install.

Trust me. Copy off your data. You will have to reinstall your apps. You will have to spend some time at the Windows Update site. You will not have the issues with IE after this process.

Bcastner,
Just want to make sure I am on the same page with you.
I will backup my data, format my drive, install Win98, then upgrade to XP, reinstall apps and do needed maintenance from windows update site. Right

Note: you do not have to install win98. The upgrade disk will just ask for you to insert the Win98 CD briefly to verify it.

I've seen machines infected before they can even download the updates from MS so when you're done, you may want to run Ad-Aware (freeware) and The Cleaner (shareware demo) as well as running a virus scan.

Good luck,

FredUG

Download all the updates from the windows catalog ,burn to cd (before going online)... Install ..
And install firewall & AV .

attually, isnt it true if you own the cd-key you can use a "copyed" windows disk as backup?

Do you think I should by a monkey, it's cheaper and better than windows :p

Yes, the1bigboy, that is true.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

This is not exactly true, other wise people would just purchase licenses for microsoft and download the software free of charge. If you own a legitimate copy of the XP CD then you can legally make a backup copy of the software. This can then be used to install the software on any other PC's that you own, so long as you use a unique CD key/license for each installation.

With regards to the update problem go to and download SP1a and for the new update roll-up. Then apply these before installing any other software/connecting to the internet.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Sorry but incorrect.
A seperate, no licensed Disk-Kit can be purchased for around 23 $.
If you need 2000 installs, no-one expects you to buy 2000 CD's, but just 2000 Licenses.
MS is not charging you for the medium (the CD) but for use of their software.
Don't forget you NEVER own the software you buy, you just pay for the rights to use it. The CD itself is just a carrier and can be a copy of your neighbour for all MS cares, as long as you have your own licenses.

When you purchase a volume license from Microsoft whether it be 5 or 2000. You will be given/required to purchase a copy of that software. The code that is contained on the CD (or other medium) is copywrite of Microsoft (and other vendors) and as such cannot be copied and distributed to whom ever you want. I'm sure that if I put a copy of windows xp on ebay but made the point that the purchaser would have to purchase a license, ebay would whip it off their site pronto. Microsoft do not sell individual licenses without being purchase alongs side a copy of the code on some medium (normally a CD). The minimum number of licenses you can purchase for windows XP is 5. The volume licensing of microsoft products normally restricts the use of the licenses to a single building as well, allowing for laptops/home workers who are based at that building.

I know this becuse I spoke to Microsoft on friday as we are currently installing a network of 750 computers all requiring Windows XP and we had to discuss our options.

However I also take your point that if people are using legit licenses they would probably not take the matter further.

Greg Palmer

By the way if I am at all wrong with what I have said then please let me know as it may save us some money.

Greg Palmer

You are correct.

I have never seen a "No CD" license-only kit for US $23, but there are OEM licenses that can legally be purchased for below the retail cost of XP. These often do not contain a disk, and I believe that is what marcs41 is referring to.

They were never intended for retail sale. As a practical matter what marcs41 describes is accurate. This is a very gray area, but you should be aware of the tremendous loss of flexibility licensing in this fashion makes over time. I wrote a FAQ on this which may or may not help explain my concerns about using OEM licenses for the long haul: faq779-4004

I have received several emails about this FAQ, which can easily be summarized:

"You are a complete idiot and completely wrong. You can buy a printer cable as qualifying hardware. And like they really are going to check? And if you wait six months you can call them and get a new key. You are an idiot."

That, I believe, is a fair summary of the emails I have gotten. All of which is true. For the short-term. In a corporate and/or professional setting it is irrelevant. The terms and conditions of the EULA granted you are done from both boilerplate and from how the MS representative feels is the best fit between their and your interests.

Using "gray" licenses does not seem to me a suitable corporate or professional choice.

MS must deal a little differently with businesses and home or personal use because I also spoke with them on the phone just last week before I went to Best Buys and bought a legit copy and they told me that once I had the legit medium (cd) for $99.00(upgrade) and I wanted to install it on another computer in my home to contact sales and they would sell me a additional license(only)for about $75.00 per license.

The below is a summary of Greg Shultz's Article about the Windows Version 6 licensing that applied in your Best Buy Case. This is a little advertised program, but it can fit well with the Home or very small professional user. Reference:
Google for more on "Microsoft Licensing 6.0"

You didn't have to purchase any additional Windows XP packages because by virtue of purchasing a single retail copy of Windows XP Professional Upgrade, he was eligible to take advantage of Microsoft's little-known Additional License Program. This program is designed for consumers and small businesses and allows you to purchase, at a discounted price, up to three additional licenses for each Windows XP Home or Professional CD that you own. Best of all, you can purchase the additional licenses online and use them immediately. With the additional licenses in hand, you then use your original Windows XP CD to install the operating system on another computer.

Since Microsoft doesn't widely publicize the Windows XP Additional License Program, not many consultants who work with small businesses are aware that it exists. I'll introduce you to the Windows XP Additional License Program and explain how you can take advantage of it.

Other licensing deals for small businesses
Most consultants have heard of Microsoft’s other small-business licensing program—Open License 6.0—which allows you to purchase a minimum of five licenses. However, this program is more complex and requires that you go through a Microsoft Licensing Program Reseller to participate. The Open License 6.0 program may be overkill in many situations.

Getting started
To get started, you need to have on hand either the Product Key or the Product ID for a legally purchased copy of Windows XP Home or Professional. You can use either one. You’ll find the Product Key printed on an orange sticker on the back of the Windows XP CD folder. To find the Product ID, access the Start menu, right-click on My Computer, and select Properties. You'll find the current Product ID under the Registered To heading.

Keeping track of your additional license
While you can use either the Product Key or the Product ID to purchase an additional license, I recommend that you have the Windows XP CD folder on hand when you make your order. Then, when you receive your new Product Key, you can write the number on the orange sticker right

Start the ordering procedure
Once you have a Product Key or the Product ID, point your browser to the appropriate page on the Shop Microsoft Web site: Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional. Once you arrive at either of these pages, follow the “Save up to 15% on an additional license!” link. On the qualification page, select one of the radio buttons, supply the appropriate key, and click the Submit button.

If you entered a Product Key that qualifies you for an additional license, you’ll see a confirmation screen. To continue, select United States from the country/region drop-down list and then click the Continue To Online Store button—once it’s active. In a moment, you’ll be taken to the Buy Additional Licenses page on the License Technologies Group Web site.

Handling the transaction
License Technologies Group, a Microsoft partner company, handles the actual purchase and distribution of the additional license. This electronic program is relatively new, having been implemented on December 1, 2002. To learn more about the additional license program and License Technologies Group, you can check out its press release.

To continue with the transaction, click the Buy Now button. You’ll see a second page on which you can specify the number of additional licenses you wish to purchase. As I mentioned, you can purchase a maximum of three additional licenses in this program. When you click the Next button, you’ll be taken to the Billing Info page and will need to fill in the appropriate information. You’ll then see the Check Out page and will need to confirm the information you entered.

Receiving your additional license
As soon as you click the Check Out button, you‘ll see the Order Confirmation screen and will find your new Additional License Key in the center of the page. At this point, go ahead and print this page for your records. Within a few moments, you’ll receive the same information via e-mail. In addition, you’ll find an attached PDF file that contains an electronic certificate, which acts as your official proof of purchase. Print out this page and attach it to the Windows XP CD folder.

Installing your additional license
Installing your additional license is a piece of cake. You simply run the Windows XP installation procedure from the CD as you normally would. When you’re prompted for the Product Key, just enter the key you received with your additional license.

Saving money for the client
In the case of my consulting job, I purchased three additional licenses for the single Windows XP Professional CD that my client already owned. He was happy to save $45 right off the bat and is even happier that he now has four computers in his business running Windows XP Professional. While the savings here may not seem like a lot of money, the fact that I, as a consultant, was able to reduce, rather than increase, the cost of the upgrade operation helped me build the trust of my client. And, as you know, building trust goes a long way in building a successful consulting business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back