Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 8.6 fails to backup W2K system state on remote server 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mduke

MIS
Oct 26, 2001
US
Hello,
I'm in the process of evaluating Backup Exec 8.6 The test configuration consists 2 W2K servers.
All backups of the local server (tape attached) work fine.
The remote server has no problems backing up the drives but fails with the following message when attempting to bakup the system state. Both servers are on the same domain.
Any insight into this would be appreciated.

ERROR 'Unable to attach to \\TESTSVR\System?State.
The device cannot be found.

Check your doco - you must have the Remote Agent add-on installed to backup the System State data on a W2K machine. See below:

Using the Remote Agent to Back Up Data in a Mixed Environment
You must install the Remote Agent on all remote Windows 2000 systems that you want
backed up. Without the Remote Agent, the following Windows 2000 features cannot be
correctly backed up:
Encrypted files
SIS files
Disk quota data
Removable Storage data
Remote Storage data
Mount points
Sparse files
System State data, including:
- COM+ Class Registration database
- Boot and system files
- Registry
- Certificate Services database (if the server is operating as a certificate server)
- Active Directory (if the server is a domain controller)
- SYSVOL (if the server is a domain controller)
- Cluster quorum

This could be a permissions issue also. Make sure that your account that you are logged on with has sufficient rights to these folders, otherwise they will be unavailable.

Try the following

I have a word document listing all of the articles that I have referenced in the process of getting 8.6 working with Exchange and a file server, cross network etc. If you are interested post your e-mail address and I'll forward it on to you.

Cheers

This problem is probably down to the following: check the key in the registry: Hkeylocalmachine\software\veritas\backup exec\engine\ntfs and change the value restrict anonymous to 1 restart the services for backup exec and it should work.

Hello dellboy,
thanks for offering your word document listing all of the articles about the process of getting 8.6 working with Exchange and a file server.

If you want send it, here is mymail@adress: mail@lapawa.de

best regards

Dieter Fuchs
C.Lapawa GmbH
FON: +49 (0)202 769 3380
FAX: +49 (0)202 4960 8966

Hey dellboy.
Rodney here!
Can you send me that word doc stewari3@bp.com
Cheers

Dellboy,
Would you mind forwarding those articles to me as well? toddhoward@earthlink.net.

Here's the problem I'm having in case you think you can help.
1. Back Exec 8.6 installed on file server. FS backs up fine.
2. Cannot communicate with Exchange 2000 server through Backup Exec. When I attempt to select the Exchange server for backup, BE hangs, task manager says "not responding."
3. I have an Exchange client on the FS, which also cannot communicate with Exchange server.
4. All other servers and workstation in the office can send and receive mail, so the Exchange Server is not the issue.
5. The fs can communicate with Exchange server over netbios, it just can't see the Exchange db's.
Thanks,

we have backup exec 8.5 on windows 2000 server
and our backup jobs, at random, hang at 99%
so other scheduled jobs don't start

we have a EZ17 exabyte robot which is known as
unknown media changer, ( could this be the problem ?)

and I have replaced jobs7.dat with one from an older install
to get the backups jobs back, ( didn't work)

thank you for every advice you wish to share

Please email me that doc. dellboy....thx!

itooley@strathcona.com

Send the doc to me too ! sounds interesting...
pbrear@hotmail.com
Cheers,

Would love to have that doc too Dellboy, hopefully it will clear up problems I'm having.

justinsteel@yahoo.com

Regards,
Justin

DellBoy,

Could you pass the documentation to me at rictronic@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance.

I thought I would jump in because you are talking about multiple servers.

BE 8.6 Primary server backup speed is great but remote servers is a snoozer. all are W2 Servers and all are on 100 meg network.

Is there performance tuning to do no the remote servers that can boost backup speeds?

Hello dellboy.......

Please email a copy of that word document to lekovalik@gov.mb.ca

Dellboy,

Please send me the doc to renjie.fu@netsteps.net

Thanks

Please send the documentation to me as well.
What is the cost of the W2K Agent?
I am trying to backup a remote W2K machine and it gives a (HOLD) error and stops the backup, requesting the Agent.

crime_a@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back