Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 11d Not backing up all mailboxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingzope

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
US
Recently I upgraded from BE 10d to BE 11d. I've multiple backup jobs of our information store witht the option to backup individual messages. The problem is that I see about 1/5 of the mailboxes available for restore. I also noticed that the same mailboxes are left out in every backup. I tried searching the forum here and google but have came up short. Does anyone have any idea of what would cause this? It apears someone else in this forum has the problem but it was kind of overlooked due to him sort of hijacking another BE 11d thread.

Thanks

Make sure you on build 7170 for Backup Exec 11d and re-push the agent if the exchange server is a remote agent.

Yes we are currently using build 7170. I'm using a CASO enviroment and the mail server is it's only media server. Sorry I left out the BE build number.

When you make the selection do you see 1/5 of the mailboxes as well?

You mean when I'm selecting what to backup? I only have the option for first storage group and mailbox store.

If you mean when I'm selecting which ones to restore that is where I only see about 1/5 of them.

Ok I forgot.

Do you know if the users you dont see in restore selection if the mailboxes or user in AD are in a different org or container?

Typically what I have seen in ADSIedit the Exchange LegacyDN key is missing for the users that dont show up .

That's sounds like it could be it. We do have users in seperate containers. I'm not really familiar with anything related to Exchange LegacyDN keys though. I'll take a look and see what differs in the containers and post back in the meantime.

I hate to double post but I didn't see an edit option.

Anyways I checked on the containers and I actually have users that show up and don't show up in the same container. So I don't think this applies to the container. Then again, I don't really know and that's why I'm here :)

I've gone over both and tried everything givin in both documents however the issue still is happening. The same mailboxes every time are not getting backed up, or at least not showing up in the list of available mailboxes to restore. I will keep trying other things but if anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

Have you updated to latest build of Backup Exec 11d build 7170 and re-pushed the agent the exchange server (if remote)?

Currently I'm using a CASO enviroment with 2 other media servers, one of which is the exchange server itself. I was always using Rev 7170 and yesterday I patched the CAS and the media servers. Since the exchange server is the media server, I assume that the agent would be patched as well. Just in case I'm going to look over the server. But never the less, I ran another exchange backup after the update and still came by the same results.

Everything has been patched and I'm still having the issue. It is also the same boxes as usual not being backed up.

Are you using their GRT feature? If so, you should be aware that many users have reported not being able to restore mailboxes/messages/attachments at the Symantec BE 11d forum.

Symantec claims the legacy methods work but there are problems reported with those backups too.

I'm using 11d (not with Exchange though). I've used 10 in the past with Exchange 5.5 and we could restore redirected mailboxes without a problem.

Yes I'm using GRT. I've tested restoring specific emails to boxes that actually are being backed up and it worked quite well. I'm using Exchange 2003. I'm a little surprised that no one else has experienced this issue here. I'm afraid is will turn out to be something right under my nose.

Symantec has been working on fixing the problems with GRT backups. Last I heard they claimed it worked, but for non SMTP email only. It escapes my why anyone would consider that an improvement.

Try explaining that to the CEO. "Sorry, I can't get your email back because it is a SMTP email.

We're not using SMTP boxes here. It's just strange that 50% of the boxes show up when I go through a restore but the others are just not there. For all I know they could be getting backed up but BE is just not seeing them.

My understanding is that the problem is with email received via smtp (basically all internet email). There is a lot of problems with GRT and you should really take a look at the BE 11d forum. Symantec is definitely working on this so what is a problem today may not be tomorrow. Unfortunately it also appears a problem fixed yesterday can come back in a later release. :(

I do have the exact same problem here running BE11d on Win2k and Exchange 2k.

By the way, the Symantec forums is no more available ?

The link I posted is working for me under IE7. Their forums are still active and are now Symantec's main support tool (FWIW).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back