Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BABv11 - Restore Multiplexed backup - SCSI errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredje

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
BE

Hello,

I tested the multiplexed backup.
The backup process was ok and faster than the "normal" way.
A solution to reduce our backup time.

I meet SCSI problems when I try to restore it.

Restore to F:\TODELETE\Test Restore\Multiplex\Gej512
E6304 Unexpected SCSI Sense Code ==> JobID[813], Device[5], ABSL[4 0 2 0], SN[PMC07H0116 ], CMD[34h], [Scsi Bus Reset Occurred], ASC[29], ASCQ[02]
E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error
E3713 Unable to read from media. (MEDIA=T, EC=Hardware Error)
AE0076 Invalid stream id signature: 0x484a206b
3734 file(s) 2066134 KB restored from TEST @ 177,398 KB/min
204 Directories 3.734 File(s) (1.863,37 MB) Restored to Disk.
1.961,00 MB Read from Media.
Elapsed Time: 11m 39s
Average Throughput: 168,32 MB/min
Number of Error(s)/Warning(s): 3.632/0
** Summary for Job **
1 Session(s) Found on Media.
204 Directories 3.734 File(s) (1.863,37 MB) Restored to Disk.
1.961,00 MB Read from Media.
Elapsed Time: 11m 39s
Average Throughput: 168,32 MB/min
Number of Error(s)/Warning(s): 3.632/0
Restore Operation Failed.
[JOBQUEUE]: Status changed from Active to Done. [Job No: 2] [Description: Restore By Session Multiplex Job]

I got the E6300 a few time ago. It has been solved by setting the good SCSI ID's and IRQ (lowest level).
It has disepear after.

I'm using BABv11 on Win2k SP4 (Up to date regarding windows update) with an HP MSL5026 (2 SDLT1 drives)

Any suggestions?

I thank you a lot in advance

Fredje

I guess it's E6300 problem but not relate to multiplexing. I try restoring multiplexing media successfully.

SCSI port error can be a lot of things.
Make sure the SCSI bus is properly configured.
See Which Driver Should I Use? faq478-3987
Use the current driver for the SCSI controller.

Are you able to restore tapes which had been backed up without enabling multiplexing.

Yes Mohamdr, I am able to restore old sessions.

I do not notice it on the first post but the last "Device Patch" is installed.

But since this thread was open HP has analysed our server hardware.
Everyting's fine regarding the hardware. It's strong enough!

If I restore a multiplexed session on a single (laptpop) SDLT --> No problem. (Meening data is on the tape!!)

I think it can be a software problem because error messages are generated randomly...and hardware (now I know) is ok.

What I can see (Tape.log) is that the SLDT begins to restore, stop for searching a position on the tape and never resume the restore process. Well, it retries but fails and never resume the operation.

To answer to Davidmichel, no drivers (library - tapes) are installed. Arcserve uses its own. However it was the case in other versions...
Regarding the scsi controller, the driver is HP provided and comes from the last support pack (v7).

I am on this issue with CA support since 2 weeks.
Of course, I'll post again when I reach the solution. Think this post can be helpfull for others.

However I thank you a lot for support and following of my issue ;o)

Fredje

HP system huh.

Go to Control Panel, HP Management Agent, right click Properties. If SCSI Information is listed in the left panel select it and then click Remove.

I tried.

I guess since I remove SCSI information from HP Agents some restore are successful (improvement. Thx) but not all the time.

I tested the tape devices by moving a good drive (no error on this one!!??) from one MSL5026 to another --> no changes

I do really not understand the problem... Some restore goes good some wrong.
When a restore goes wrong I can restore it on another system witch a single SDLT1 attached. Data is on the tape and can be read!!

I begins to be crazy, no logic can be found...

Rare you know ;o)

Fredje

Well if that helped then check this out, Which Driver Should I Use? faq478-3987

Davidmichel,

I readed you FAQ a few time ago. It helped me for some problems on AS2k. Thx!!!
I saved the page you know ;o)

The problem now:

All seems to be ok regarding your FAQ.

By my side the problem is still there but more occasional.
Some restore goes good, some wrong but I notice an improvement for sûre.
This is really random: when a restore fails I only need to resubmit it (some with multiple re-schedule).
I removed the Storage Agent and the SCSI information (last week) from the HP Server Agents. It's the only difference.

If I do not phone to CA support I got no feedback...
I ask me if they search...however we pay!!...

If I got no news or solution in 2 weeks I think I will roll back in AS2K witch works perfect but without multiplexing.
I know with these version I cannot get support anymore but with that kind of support I'll not see the difference. ;o)

In each case, I thank you for your help so more helpfull than these of manufacturer...

Fredje

Is this an HP or Compaq server?
HP uses the Adaptect SCSI driver which you can configure.
Compaq driver does not let you make any configuration changes.

The change I would recommend is to lower the DMA transfer speed for the SCSI ID the tape drive is on down to 20mb/s.

I does not test your "solution" because CA escalated the problem to the "developpement departement".

I already lost many time with this. CA is searching...

Sûre, I'll post the solution ;o)

Many Thx

Fredje

Fyi,

No solution was found...too bad...

I roll back to AS v7 that works perfect

Fredje

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back