Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Partner programing - Help 2

Mountainbear

Programmer
Sep 27, 2009
CA
It's been a while since I have worked on a legacy Avaya Partner. I just added a 206E to a B&B for a new 7 unit building.
I was able to copy programming from one of their existing rooms for the 7 new rooms (1 spare port +206E).
They are using single line analog phones which I cannot get to ring for internal calls.
I can turn ringing on and off per line but where is ringing for direct internal calls between rooms? I would have thought the programming would follow from the phone I copied (the copied phone rings).
What am I missing?

The ring generator on your new 206 module is probably bad. Single Line phones should ALWAYS ring on Intercom calls. You can select if they get the double ring to distinguish internal from external, but other than no ringing voltage, they will ring when called.

Not what I wanted to hear. Any way to test this? Or fix the ring Gen?

I had a similar issue with a Legend station card. The steps I used to troubleshoot will work as well on a Partner. I started by unplugging all the station jacks on the card where I was having the no-ring on the specific extension. Then I went extension by extension, plugging in a phone into the card that I knew had a working ringer, and calling the extension from another line (in another card). While I got ringing sound from the phone I was using to call, each of the extensions assigned to the card would not ring, although I could answer on the called extension. With those results, as well as testing dialing out on each extension, I narrowed it down to the ring generator. I purchased another T&R card on eBay, which solved the problem.

To be clear, there should be no programming that would turn off internal ringing? I can call directly to each set and pick up (confirming the extension #).

Is the ring generator a known problem? Our supplier just sent us a replacement 206E under warranty. I am unable to get ringing out of that board as well.
I am thinking, what are the chances of having two card both with defective ring generators?
We are using all analog phones.

How many total/working extensions are there in the system?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

They have 26 total extensions. 1 cordless, 1 Avaya phone and everything room has an analog phone.
Would DND turn off ringing?
Learning this system as I go. There is basically no one around who works on these and for some reason I thought it was a good idea for me to take it on. I had 5 hours experience and 1 day training (20 years ago).

DND would prevent ringing for sure. One quick way to see if extensions are DND'd is to program a one-touch speed-dial button (with a status LED) and see if the LED lights up. If it does, the system sees the extension in question as busy/DND. [ponder]

I am unaware of ring generator issues with Partner ACS hardware. The 206 module is quite old. Maybe switching to 308ECs might be worth investigating. What is being used for system voicemail?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Also, looking over the documentation for the Partner ACS, the system has limits. The maximums are:

31 lines x 25 extensions
21 lines x 45 extensions or 11 lines x 48 extensions.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

They only have 2 lines, so I think it should handle 26 phones. Not sure about voicemail, learning all of this on the fly. How do I program a speed dial? Is that "call pickup"?
Also when I switched out the 206 card I lost the programming for the 6 phones. Not a big deal since there wasn't much. I thought the programming would stay with the main card, No?

If the AAA batteries in the ACS are good, and the Replace Batteries message is not displayed on Ext. 10, and you've backed up your programming before powering off to swap modules, the programming should absolutely have remained.

Find the sticker on the ACS, and give us its exact model - lets make sure you're not dealing with an Endeavour.

On your programming phone, Ext. 10, go in to its programming mode with Feature 00.
Now press a blank button with lights, press the left hand intercom button, and dial the extension number of one of the extensions on the 206. You can program a different button for each of the 6 extensions, and when you exit programming with Feature 00, those are now "Auto Intercom" buttons to those extensions. The light will indicate status, off is idle, solid red is in use or on DND.

That's great thank you. I had a much shorter version. I'll see what I can come up with.

DND is Feature 01 so pushing that to the system via dialing #01 will work on an analog phone.

Trying to find that in a 400 page manual is tricky

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Could someone tell me what phones work on an Avaya Partner phone system (206E expansion module)?
I bought a 6D but it looks like a POE phone with an ethernet jack in it. When I plug it in nothing comes up. Do I need to activate the phone? or is there something I am missing. Internet tells me I need a 700340169 which is exactly what I have.
Currently I am using analog phones, which work but do not ring.
I am going with the theory that I either have a bad card (2nd one) or DND is turned on.

Are you using a 4-conductor line cord?

Avaya equipped all of the ports on their modules and all of the jacks on their phones with RJ-45 size jacks, so that it would be an easy transition from the older Merlin platform to the Partner. The "ethernet" jack that you are seeing is the AUX jack, that allows the simultaneous connection of a single line device to a multiline phone.

Partner system phones require two pairs to operate. The center pair carries voice while the outer pair carries power and data. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back