Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya J179 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSB_

Systems Engineer
Jan 3, 2020
US
Hi All,

I am manually configuring an Avaya J179 phone to register to a 3rd party (so no CM, no Utility Server, etc...). Manually - via phones browser.

It registers and works fine. However, I am trying to add some settings to the 46xxsettings.txt file and for some reason they are not working. What I'm doing is browsing to the phone, exporting the 46xxsettings.txt file, then adding in my changes and reuploading it. When I re-upload it, the phone reregisters and works fine, but none of my changes are there anymore when I pull the file down again to look. I'm trying to add the following:

SET FORCE_SIP_USERNAME xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SET FORCE_SIP_PASSWORD xxxxx
SET FORCE_SIP_EXTENSION xxxxxxxxx

I'm trying to do this because when I enter the SIP info direct on to the phone it works, but I notice that hitting the save button doesn't save the credentials for sip registration. It only saves the Display Name, but not the SIP User Name, password or extension. I'm trying to force the phone to 'remember' these things if there is an event that delays registration to the 3rd party. I need to keep these registration settings indefinitely.

Thanks!

Any thoughts?

On Aura, I've made it work with:
SET FORCE_SIP_USERNAME 5551119999
SET FORCE_SIP_PASSWORD 1234
SET FORCE_SIP_EXTENSION 5551119999

Assuming your extension is 5551119999 and password 1234.

But, I have only ever tried it with $MACADDR.txt like below. So, the last line of the settings file says "GET $MACADDR.txt" and I have a file named after the MAC with just those 3 lines in it.

Try that?

##################### SIP USER CREDENTIALS SETTINGS #####################
##
## SIP User Credentials settings
## Configure Username, Password and User ID to be used
## for SIP Registration. Usernames are often identical
## to User ID.
## FORCE_SIP_USERNAME replaces user field entered by user during Login
## FORCE_SIP_PASSWORD replaces password entered by user during Login
## FORCE_SIP_EXTENSION replaces User ID entered by user during Login
## If these are set, the user will not be prompted to Login on power cycle.
## Note: This parameter is supported by:
## J129 SIP R1.1.0.0, J169/J179 SIP R1.5.0, J100 SIP R2.0.0.0 and later
## 96x1 SIP R7.1.1.0 and later
## SET FORCE_SIP_USERNAME "7415"
## SET FORCE_SIP_PASSWORD "2222"
## SET FORCE_SIP_EXTENSION "741515"
##
## GET $MACADDR will request for the "MACADDR" file from the HTTP/HTTPS Server where "$MACADDR" which will be replaced by the telephone's MAC address.
## Note: This parameter is supported by J129 SIP R1.1.0.0, J169/J179 R1.5.0, J100 SIP R2.0.0.0 and later, J139 SIP R3.0.0.0 and later and 96x1 SIP R7.1.1.0 and later
## GET $MACADDR.txt
##

Thank you Kyle555!!
I can try it - but can I load the $MACADDR file onto the phone itself? We have no separate https server for this - every config file has to be on the phone.

I tried it without the https server, and it worked!!!! Thank you!

I wont pretend to understand why entering it in the 46xxsettings file doesn't work - I tried entering those commands in the 46xx previously and it was a flop. But when I entered it into the separate file like you said, it works. Thanks, you made my week!

Star for you sir![bowleft]

Heather

I'm sure it doesn't work in the settings file because it's meant to be generic to all phones. It would be nice if they explicitly stated "this is a device unique setting that will only be processed in $MACADDR.txt" but... oh well.

I wrote a little script that can spit out hundreds of them

Hi Kyle555 and team tek-tips!

I wanted to update that the files uploaded to the phone and logged in, so they worked. But in further testing, if I reboot the phone, the 46xxsettings file reverts back to the original and the GET $MACADDR statement that I added is gone! I downloaded the file after reboot and can see that its missing. Anyone know why this would happen? Remember, I'm loading my 46xx manually from my pc to the phone....we have no Avaya infrastructure or utility server...

Thanks all!

The phone should remember most settings from the settings file after reboot.

It should remember everything even if nothing is there.

When you say you manually loaded the file - what do you mean? What exactly did you do to accomplish that?

Whatever you did, what if you make it work, remove your pc from the network, reboot the phone. Does it still work?

The phone should overwrite settings only if they are explicitly specified again. So, if 46xx says "set sip extn 1234" and "get $macaddr.txt" and macaddr.txt says "set sip extn 5678" and you're in as 5678 and you reboot and 46xx is there but macaddr.txt is gone, the phone might think it's 1234 and fail to login.
If your pc was serving 46xx via a http file server and your PC was off the network entirely, then that scenario would have me think the phone should reboot and retain the credentials and stay logged in.

Or, in short, once I push credentials via mac.txt to a phone, it keeps them after reboot even if a file server isn't there anymore. I'll caveat that by saying there are particular settings that could change that, but they are always disabled by default. If you had a list of all settings being applied, I could review that and take for grranted that every other setting not specified is whatever the "default" choice is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back