Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IPO Voicemail to Email VMPro 2.1 XP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmnt1981

Technical User
Apr 18, 2017
US
I have a customer that had voicemail to email working on a 2.1 system. They had a onsite email server then recently switched to office 365. Switching the vmpro email settings to the office 365 obviously did not work. I then attempted to use the tried and true smtp relay through gmail. I have set this up numerous times on other IPO's on later releases. When I hit the "check" button in the VMPro tab I get a "failed to login to the mail server (smtp) using the specified authentication method error 0[0]."
When I check the error logs in event viewer I get error must issue a start tls command first. Upon further review i find that the Windows XP machine does is not capable of TLS. I tried using the SSL ports for gmail but the errors persist.
Any ideas? Obviously I would like this customer to upgrade everything but they have maintenance with my company until early next year.

VMpro 2.1 and windows xp?

Do you know it is 2017 already?

Dump this 20 year old systems...

Yes I know. Its an odd request but since it worked with an onsite email server the customer is convinced it can work with a relay. My company is getting a quote out to him but until then I thought i would through it out and see if anyone had anything to contribute. I did also try using stunnel but that also did not work.

Just because an onsite email server, most likely allowing connections on port 25 works, does not mean that an external server will work even with a relay. Also throw in a Windows XP machine into the equation (also obsolete and incompatible) you have a royal mess.

I would advise them to upgrade... well everything. If they try to pull the maintenance card then they should put the onsite email server back online as that is most likely the only way that dinosaur is going to work. They upgraded away the onsite email server then they can upgrade other things or revert to what works. The fact anyone is running R2.1 is pretty laughable at this point tbh.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I had this with a client and they decided to put the on-site server back into their network just for the purpose of using the smtp for vm to email. They moved everything else over to 365 and just pointed the vmpro to the old on-site server. We tried to get them to upgrade, but their IT tech decided this was the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back