Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IPO SE R10 Skype for Business working, but additional help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

effectivecommunicat

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2009
US
Hi All,

I was able to get the Avaya Communicator for Lync Plug in working with Avaya IPO R10 and Skype for Business (using O365).

Just an FYI to other out there that it required me to use port 8443 (rather than port 8080 or 9443 as noted in the documentation).
-"In Call" Presence appears
-Click to dial on contacts and dial pad work
-DND on Skype works as mentioned (rings once on Avaya phone and then voicemail
-Tested with Avaya 9600 series IP phone as well As Avaya Communicator and both work

My question now is that the customer wants to use the SFB/Lync Avaya plug in, but not limit Skype for business for video calling and skype conferencing/presentation/screen sharing. It appears the Avaya plug-in takes over and the video/audio button from Skype along with the options in Skype For Business settings do not appear.

On the Avaya Knowledge base it shows that there is a way to get "peer to peer" calling is available, but I am unable to get this to work based on the instructions to know if they can still use Skype to Skype for video calls, Skype conferencing and presentations as they have in the past when they had no integration to Avaya. Does anyone have any knowledge on this or know the caveats/limitations or a way to get this scenario to work?

Here are the notes from the KB:

Installing Avaya Communicator for Microsoft Lync with Lync peer-to-peer calling enabled
About this task
Use the following procedure to enable the Avaya Communicator for Microsoft Lync UC Telephony setting during a command line installation.

Important
Lync peer-to-peer calling should not be enabled in conjunction with virtual desktop infrastructure deployments.

Procedure
In the command line, use CD to change the directory to the location with the extracted folder that contains the Avaya Communicator for Microsoft Lync set up.
Enter the following string: msiexec /i AvayaCommunicatorForMicrosoftLync2013<x64 or x86>-<release#>.msi LYNCTELEPHONYMODE=?, where ? indicates a Microsoft UC Telephony setting of 0 or 5.
If Lync UC is on, the setting is 0. If Lync UC is off, the setting is 5.

Note
If the file name is different from AvayaCommunicatorForMicrosoftLync2013<x64 or x86>-<release>.msi, change the file name.

You can make calls using two different call controls when the Lync UC is active. Avoid running both the call paths simultaneously as one call cannot be on hold when another call is active.

If an error occurs, reverse the registry entry.
You can manually change the Lync TelephoneMode to a value of 5 on the affected computer by modifying the registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\15.0\Lync

THANK YOU

effectivecommunicat
ACIS, ACSS Certified

I seem to remember in the early day of the Lync integration the registry hack worked, but you were presented with two call buttons and it was jarring for the user.

We decided that the whole thing was a mess and the convenience of the plugin was outweighed by the functionality loss of the Lync client and we have never sold it since.

Sorry I don't have any better news for you.

ACSS (SME)

Thanks Smash. I finally received some help from Avaya and was also able to get a nice PDF to show some highlights and integration changes. The registry edit on Skype 2016 resolved the issue and we can now use Skype calling for audio/video/presentation/screen sharing and at the same time have the ability to use the Avaya plugin to use a desk phone or else Avaya Communicator. Just an FYI that when we changed the registry we could no longer access the settings on the Avaya client, but we were able to change them via the registry.

I just wanted to share this in hopes it helps someone else who is or will eventually be in our same situation since many are asking for SFB integration.

Cheers!

effectivecommunicat
ACIS, ACSS Certified

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8245db42-c1fa-4100-8567-3bda94e1ecb1&file=Avaya_SFB.pdf
Its 9443 for Linux and 8443 for Windows for HTTPS. 8080 for HTTP on both which is disabled by defailt in later versions.

Thanks for the clarification Seacats.

effectivecommunicat
ACIS, ACSS Certified

For me it works either with the mentioned registry entry and with the option for the MSI. Did it with the new plug-in together with SE 9.1

can someone point me to the documentation used for this ?

Yes, we still have a customer using it today and it works ok. There are a couple dial plan settings that tend to cause issues for them, but for the most part works as described.

effectivecommunicat
ACIS, ACSS Certified

do you have to use a shortcode to do a conference call ?

We typically set up short codes for meet-me bridges, but not sure what you're referring to for this one. We have integrated SFB to the desk phone and the customer has used the desk phone for conferencing, etc. I have not dealt with the Skype conferencing, but instead used the IPO for the bridge.

effectivecommunicat
ACIS, ACSS Certified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back