Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP - Twinned calls picked up by cell VM if not answered quick enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

coltgrow

Technical User
May 3, 2023
US
Hello! I am having this issue where some users are not getting enough time on to answer their twinned calls before it shoots to their cell phone's voicemail. These users do not have system VM set up. Is there a way to have Forward on No Answer shoot the call back to the hunt group or queue before their personal VM interferes? I have tried having the cell provider extend the ringing time, but that isn't always an option. I currently have their settings set as:

Mobile Dial Delay: 2

Mobile Answer Guard - 0

No Answer Time - 30

I have tried dropping the No Answer Time and setting and enabling the Forward on No Answer, but I've had no luck with the calls actually getting transferred to number or extension I set in the Forward Number field.

Has anyone else run into this? Thanks!

What happens with a direct call to the person's cell? The forwarding from cell to cell VM should be no different regardless of how the call is getting there - either a direct to cell call or a call from the IPO to cell.

I hope you have VmPro as my suggestion would require that.
I would enable the voicemail and set a leave point then transfer it to the desired target because that is the only thing I have ever gotten to work. Mind you that different releases and dot-releases work sometimes slightly different, thanks to Avaya for these undocumented minute differences.

You can also test if the forwarding actually works at all by twinning the user to a number that has no mailbox at all then call the extension and if the call is not pulled back then the reason is that the twinning has priority over Fwd No Answer and you can stop fighting with it.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

@Nortel4Ever
[highlight #FCAF3E]"What happens with a direct call to the person's cell? The forwarding from cell to cell VM should be no different regardless of how the call is getting there - either a direct to cell call or a call from the IPO to cell."[/highlight]
A direct call to the user's cell has more rings and gives them more time to answer. A call through the hunt group to the twinned number cuts the answer opportunity by about 50%, give or take. This happens for remote/twinned workers using cells or programs like Google Voice.

@Westi
[highlight #8AE234]I hope you have VmPro as my suggestion would require that.[/highlight]
I do.
[highlight #8AE234]I would enable the voicemail and set a leave point then transfer it to the desired target because that is the only thing I have ever gotten to work. Mind you that different releases and dot-releases work sometimes slightly different, thanks to Avaya for these undocumented minute differences.[/highlight]
So you are saying just enable system VM for the users, let the callers leave a VM there instead, then have the VM forwarded to the user for callback? That is tempting, but with this being a hunt group, I find that the callers just keep calling back over and over again until they get someone on the line.
[highlight #8AE234]You can also test if the forwarding actually works at all by twinning the user to a number that has no mailbox at all then call the extension and if the call is not pulled back then the reason is that the twinning has priority over Fwd No Answer and you can stop fighting with it.[/highlight]
I will test it some more, but I am starting to think that's the case. Once a call is twinned, it no longer respects any forwarding settings. :(

Don't let the callers leave a voicemail, create a Leave action for the User in VMPro, and connect the Start to a Transfer that gets the caller back to the Hunt Group

@TouchToneTommy
[highlight #FCE94F]Don't let the callers leave a voicemail, create a Leave action for the User in VMPro, and connect the Start to a Transfer that gets the caller back to the Hunt Group[highlight #FCE94F][/highlight][/highlight]
Once the caller is sent to the twinned device, its the rep's personal vocemail that picks up. Are you saying enable voicemail for them in the phone system but have it block a voicemail from being left some kind of way?

I guess disabling the cell phone voice mail is not an option....

@jose1000
[highlight #D3D7CF]I guess disabling the cell phone voice mail is not an option....[/highlight]
Right. This one user is using Google Voice, which no longer has an option to disable it.

if the system extension has a voicemail enabled, then it will pick up after the No Answer time, make sure it is shorter than the time it needs to have the cell voicemail pick up.

The "Leave point" in the voicemail pro can be programmed to go anywhere not just be a voicemail to leave a message just by putting in a transfer action to wherever you like the call to go.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

This one user is using Google Voice

Run a Monitor trace, and also SSA Trace All on the trunk.
I think that Google is sending back an Answered response while they are ringing the endpoint, and when the endpoint doesn't answer they route to their internal voicemail. To the IPO, it appears that the call was answered right after it was placed, so IPO doesn't know to pull the call back.

if Google is sending an Answered response like TTT said then they are just as crappy as Avaya Cloud Office that sends that immediately back and you will not be able to fix it as the phone system sees it correctly answered immediately and you cannot even use the mobile answer guard to prevent that because you would never get a call.

But like TTT said do a trace and see if that is the case to know rather than guess.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I found a workaround for my issue. I'm still tracking it but...

Mobility
Mobile Dial Delay - 3 seconds
Mobile Answer Guard - 0 seconds

Telephony (Call Settings)
No Answer Time - 15 seconds

Telephony (Supervisor Settings)
Status on No Answer - Logged On

Forwarding
Forward on No Answer - enabled
Forward Number - the extension for our hunt group queue

With the configuration set this way, I find that if the caller does not pick up the call in time, it is forwarded back to the hunt group. If another rep is available, it gets sent to them. If not, then it just keeps forwarding the call back to the original rep, giving them more chances to pick the call up in time.

the only one that is of real importance is the No Answer time of 15 seconds (12 actually). This means that the twinning is working for 15 seconds then goes to Vm which is in this case not VM but another agent.
That is of course if the vm answer timer of the group that gets the call is not so low that it answers.

Mobility
Mobile Dial Delay - 3 seconds -- Starts the twinning process 3 seconds after the phone rings
Mobile Answer Guard - 0 seconds -- doesn't care if the call gets answered right away if the cell is out of range or the call gets pushed away, this means also answered by the cell mailbox within 12 seconds.

But it is always timing and it varies by cell provider.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

If you give more information you will get better answers. If you only give bits and pieces then you will get the same back and maybe not fitting your problem.

It would have been helpful if you would have mentioned in your original post that the user was using Google Voice and not a regular cell phone. If it was a regular cell phone there would be no difference in the number of rings to the cell phone's voicemail from either a direct call to the cell or a call that has been routed through the IPO to the cell. The CFwd to VM timer would not start until the cell actually started to ring and the cell phone would not be able to distinguish a call that was made to it directly versus a call from the IPO, all it would know is that its number had been dialed.

@Nortel4Ever - I had multiple users running into this issue. 1 is using Google voice. The others are using cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back