Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Office & TAPI ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRB-Bldr

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
Has anyone successfully gotten Windows TAPI to work with the Avaya IP Office system?

In order to test if things are working I have installed the
Avaya IP Office TAPI2 Service Provider
into my Windows Phone and Modem Options

In order to test I have done launched the old Windows Dialer.exe routine to place a call through the workstation TAPI.

I am not trying to actually pass voice, etc.
I only want to hear the call placed and the recipient phone ring.
But nothing works.

And Avaya and their distributors haven't been much help in supporting my getting this to work.

So - How can I get this working?

Any help/advice you might have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

To be honest : i work with IPO from release 1.0 and TAPI has never failed for me on any windows os except on Windows ME but that was rubbish from the start.
Did you ever try to read the installation document regarding TAPI?
From all apps to use with IPO TAPI is farout the easiest to install and us.

If it ain't dutch it ain't much

Only Windows 7 64 but can be a bit more troublesome but it can be done.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

intrigrant - I work with IPO from release 1.0 and TAPI has never failed for me

At this point I am just trying to get off-the-ground with Window (XP-SP3) TAPI making a call through the Avaya IP Office system.

I must have missed setting something up or I have things set up wrong.

If you have any insight on the variety of settings used to get things working I'd appreciate it.

For example:
* In your Windows workstation how are your Phone and Modem Options set?
Advanced - H.323 Configuration settings?

* If you go to Run - Dialer.EXE
Edit - Options
What shows for Phone calls?
Can you Dial a number and get it to ring going out through Avaya?

At present I am just groping aimlessly around in the dark, hoping that I find the correct combination of things to get working.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

Install TAPI
Reboot PC
Go to configuration > Phone and Modem settings > advanced
Configure Avaya TAPI
Select Single User
Enter IP address of IP Office
Enter your AVAYA IP Office username and ( if set ) your password
Reboot PC
start dialer.exe
sselect the Avaya TAPI line
make a call
this will only work with a active user on a phone
if you have a analog phone the phone will ring first and after answering the number wil be dialled
If you have a digital phone it will open speakerphone/handsfree when dialling a number
If that doesn't work then there maybe a firewall problem or a network probem

Did you configure phones and modems (or is it modems and phones) in Control Panel?

intrigrant - thank you for the detailed answer. I will go through the steps you list and see what if anything is different/wrong.

I'll get back once I have done so on Monday.

mforrence - That is exactly the problem. I DID attempt to configure the Phone and Modem Options, but on the Advanced tab it only allowed just so many configuration settings for the various drivers and none of that worked.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

When you installed TAPI, it should have found the IPO and then asked which extn you are using and done the TAPI settings for you (once Windows is rebooted).

Have you actually told MS Dialler to use the TAPI driver as it's dialling device???? It doesn't by default.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

intrigrant - I had already done a good bit of what you detailed (again thank you for a VERY detailed explanation). But I ran into problems.

* start dialer.exe
DONE
* select the Avaya TAPI line
HOW ?
The Phone Dial box allowed entry of the phone number and the call method (I picked Phone) and it did not work.

So within the Dialer.exe, I went to Edit - Options
For Phone Calls the choices were:
<Auto-Select> <-- this was being shown
H323 Line
and nothing else.

I had already configured the Avaya TAPI as you indicated.
So, from this point I went to the Phone and Modem Options and tried to configure the H.323 TAPI to maybe 'bridge' to the Avaya IP Office.

I tried a variety of different settings, but nothing worked.

jamie77 - When I installed the Avaya TAPI, it did not ask for any configuration parameters nor did it show me that it had automatically acquired anything. But I did manually configure the Avaya TAPI to have the IP Office server IP address in it.

Any help/advice/suggestions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

Testing TAPI:
For Windows 95, 98, ME and NT:

Click Start - Programs - Accessories - Communications - Phone Dialer from the Windows task bar to display the Phone Dialer applet.
Click Tools - Connect Using… to display the Connect Using dialog.
In the Line drop down list select the telephony driver you wish to use. (If the correct telephony driver (TSP) could not be found ask your PBX dealer to install the correct TSP software.)
In the Address drop down list select the address to use if there is more than one.
Uncheck Use Phone Dialer to handle voice call requests from other programs. Click OK to dismiss the dialog box
Enter a number to dial to be sure the system is working.
For Windows 2000:

Click Start - Programs - Accessories - Communications - Phone Dialer from the Windows task bar to display the Phone Dialer applet.
Click Edit - Options.
In the "Line Used For" group box, select the "Phone Calls" drop-down list and select the desired telephony driver. (If the correct telephony driver (TSP) could not be found ask your PBX dealer to install the correct TSP software.)
Click OK to dismiss the dialog box.
Click the Dial speed button and enter a number to dial to be sure the system is working.
For Windows XP:

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Dialer from the Windows task bar to display the Phone Dialer applet.
Click Edit - Options.
In the "Line Used For" group box, select the "Phone Calls" drop-down list and select the desired telephony driver. (If the correct telephony driver (TSP) could not be found ask your PBX dealer to install the correct TSP software.)
Click OK to dismiss the dialog box.
Click the Dial speed button and enter a number to dial to be sure the system is working.

intrigrant - again -- Thank you for the detail in your reply.

For Windows XP:
Yes - I am running XP SP3

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Dialer from the Windows task bar to display the Phone Dialer applet.
I am getting there with Taskbar - Run - Dialer.EXE
It does not appear anywhere in my Accessories

Click Edit - Options.
Preferred line for calling
Selected option -> Phone (not Internet)

In the "Line Used For" group box, select the "Phone Calls"
drop-down list and select the desired telephony driver. (If the correct telephony driver (TSP) could not be found ask your PBX dealer to install the correct TSP software.)

Choices showing: <Auto-select>
and: H323 Line
nothing else
Despite Phone and Modem Options - Advanced showing
Avaya IP Office TAPI2 Service Provider
It is not appearing as a Phone Calls choice in the drop-down.

ask your PBX dealer to install the correct TSP software
That is precisely where Avaya and their distributors have fallen down on the job.

I have yet to find anyone within that group who knows anything about any of this.
They just say - "Just use Windows TAPI".

I had to find on my own from the Avaya DevConnection site the Avaya TAPI driver that I DO have (correct one or not).
It came as part of: Avaya TAPI Q1 Maint 2012.exe

The Avaya folks haven't been any help at all.

So in the seeming absence of ANY help from Avaya or their distributors, I am hoping to be able to find the answers with you gurus.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

Are you a BP or customer???

When you install TAPI, it will either find the IPO or ask you for its address. It will then ask for your user extn and password. It WILL do these things and has done it this way since 1.x and before.

Under line preferences in Dialler can you see sonething like "IP Office Phone 201" as an option in the drop down?? If not, then it is either incorrectly installed or configured.

Under control panel>phone and modems>advanced>ip office TAPI 2, the extn name and password has to be exactly the same as programmed in Manager.

Past this, you need to pay somebody to come out and show you.

Jamie Green

Jamie - Are you a BP or customer???

As far as IT in general goes, I have been developing applications for Windows business environments for about 25 years now.

BUT as far as Avaya goes, I am a new customer.
We installed our Avaya IP Office system last week.

When you install TAPI, it will either find the IPO or ask you for its address. It will then ask for your user extn and password. It WILL do these things and has done it this way since 1.x and before.

Under line preferences in Dialler can you see something like "IP Office Phone 201" as an option in the drop down?? If not, then it is either incorrectly installed or configured.

I truly wish that it had done those things.
But since it did not, I am left wondering how to resolve things and get it working.

I am guessing that in the absence of any real support from Avaya personnel and/or their distributor it is possible that I found, downloaded, and installed the wrong Avaya IP TAPI driver into my workstation.

If you have some advice on where to find the correct driver I would be very appreciative.

Under control panel>phone and modems>advanced>ip office TAPI 2, the extn name and password has to be exactly the same as programmed in Manager.

Past this, you need to pay somebody to come out and show you.

Since this is a new Avaya install and we told the distributor right from the start that we needed workstation TAPI to work, the somebody to come out and show me should be them, but they don't have a clue and they don't seem to be able to point me to an Avaya employee who knows anything either.

So, as I said previously, in the absence of any knowledgeable Avaya (direct or indirect) support personnel I am reaching out to the user base hoping to find answers.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

If the AVAYA TAPI2 is not shown in DIALER.EXE but it does show up in the configuration settings then TAPI has no connection with IP Office. Only active TAPI lines show in the DIALER application.
You can debug TAPI following the instruction in TEC TIP 67:
Most common problems:
wrong ip address of ip office ! always use LAN1 for apps !
wrong username
wrong password
local firewall
external firewall

In sysmonitor you can see active TAPI connections as Patrner sessions.

Since this is a new Avaya install and we told the distributor right from the start that we needed workstation TAPI to work, the somebody to come out and show me should be them

What bollocks, unless you paid them to install it they have no obligation to come to site and help you, you bought equipment that you are not trained on and assumed you would be able to do it yourself, the fact it's not working is nothing to do with them or Avaya. (Unless they did install it and by we you mean them to)

If you had the system installed by someone qualified to do so then it would be working now and/or you would have support from Avaya should it have been required. It isn't consumer equipment like a PC or TV and is not designed to be a self install. If they did install it you need to take the lack of support up with them and/or ask them to escealte to Avaya (I doubt this will be required though).

The TAPI driver you need to use comes on the user disc/download from the Avaya support site. :)

wowsers Andy bad weekend !?

couldnt agree more though :)

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

Did you buy this and install yourself or did an Avaya Business Partner do the install??

If it was a BP, they should know how to sort this out and should not be leaving you in the lerch like this. I would be holding back payment until this is done.

If you installed this yourself, then you shouldn't have done this and you need to get a good Avaya tech in to help you. Avaya aren't there to help untrained techs.

But....

Uninstall what you have and start again.

You shouldn't need to go anywhere near the DevConnect site for TAPI. what you need is to download this:
ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/SoftwarePub/4_2GA_Builds/USER/COMPONENTS/TAPI/tapiQ1Maint2012.exe

And run the install again. Follow everything said above and you should be fine.

Jamie Green

The Avaya system was purchased through an Avaya Business Partner.

And, as to the 'bollocks' issue... Back at you.
Rudeness out of mis-comprehension begets rudeness back.

unless you paid them to install it they have no obligation to come to site and help you, you bought equipment that you are not trained on and assumed you would be able to do it yourself, the fact it's not working is nothing to do with them or Avaya.

Again, the system was purchased through an Avaya Business Partner and the REQUIREMENT that it support workstation TAPI was mandated from the start.
And, of course, the sales people said - SURE!!!
But apparently this Avaya Business Partnership hasn't got a clue regarding this issue.

If you had the system installed by someone qualified to do so then it would be working now and/or you would have support from Avaya should it have been required.

Actually since it WAS installed by someone who was SUPPOSED to be 'qualified' and since it was a REQUIREMENT that we be able to place TAPI phone calls through the Avaya system from the beginning - that puts this non-operation issue squarely on them to get it working.

But they just keep saying "Try to find what you need at DevConnect." or "We'll keep looking for answers..." but they haven't even come close to giving me any answers yet.

And as to... I would be holding back payment until this is done. I wholeheartedly agree, but people above my pay grade have already paid them.

I'll try what Jamie has suggested for a download and see if that gets things working.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

That's why I added the

(Unless they did install it and by we you mean them to)

and

If they did install it you need to take the lack of support up with them and/or ask them to escealte to Avaya (I doubt this will be required though).

Not forgetting this is not a forum for end users, it's for BP's to exchange more technical issues.

As has been mentioned TAPI does just tend to work, on the odd occasion you need to install, uninstall, install again for it to work but i have only seen that on Vista not XP :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back