Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP Office & TAPI ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRB-Bldr

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
Has anyone successfully gotten Windows TAPI to work with the Avaya IP Office system?

In order to test if things are working I have installed the
Avaya IP Office TAPI2 Service Provider
into my Windows Phone and Modem Options

In order to test I have done launched the old Windows Dialer.exe routine to place a call through the workstation TAPI.

I am not trying to actually pass voice, etc.
I only want to hear the call placed and the recipient phone ring.
But nothing works.

And Avaya and their distributors haven't been much help in supporting my getting this to work.

So - How can I get this working?

Any help/advice you might have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

If as you state the firm is a credited Avaya Buisness partner and the engineers they employ hold certification , they should and can goto either thier reseller or Avaya to get you help on this , do not accept any other brush off , it is not your place to go to DEV connect and or research this in any way.
You need to get the install firm to sort this for you, if they cant or are unwilling to , find a BP that can and inform the current firm you intend to take action against them, as this is unnacceptable and you should not be trying to resolve this yourself.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

I will continue trying to 'hammer on' the Avaya BP to get this working for me.
But in their absence of support and/or total lack of knowledge of the subject, I will try what you have suggested.

Any additional suggestions will continue to be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

I've seen this kind of issue before...

I am unsure if the Avaya TAPI unistaller is buggy or if the MS way of storing TAPI information is inherently flawed. However, inspect the registry around the TAPi providers (HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\telephony\providers). In there you will see a list of entries
Code:
NextProviderID dword = x
NumProviders dword = y
ProivderID0 to y dword
ProviderFileName0 to y
[code]
If you look at these, you will figure how they link. 

I suspect that you will find that the NumProvider and Nextproviders is out of sync with number of entries and that some entries are blank.

Uninstall TAPI and reboot the PC then rejig the registry so that everything maps back correctly and in a contigious range. (Usual registry disclaimer applies here - [b]don't blame me if you break it[/b])

Then reinstall - but don't use the TAPI installer, use the desktop installer (if still available) and install the TAPI driver from there.  You should get a dialogue that finds the IP office (if  it is on the same subnet and firewalls are between you and it)

If I may add a few comments here - the TAPI driver for IP office is a desktop application.  The BP quite correctly said that the system is compliant with your requirement.   If you paid them to install the system, then you have legitimate cause for complaint with them, but not Avaya (unless you really escalate and have some pull - good luck with that)  If you bought the whole kit without installation services - then you don't really have much comeback.

Most of the guys here make their living by installing and maintaining IP Office (I no longer do) and have invested both time and money in training and gaining experience.  I guess they find it really annoying that some (and I don't mean to be rude) untrained IT bod demands help with something that shoudl have been done by the installer on a T&M basis,  It means that they are subsidising their competition and potentially doing themslevs out of business.  There are some extremely knowledgable people on this forum - but getting into a slanging match with them is *not* going to get you any help.  Sadly, you are not the first person to be treated in this way and you will not be the last either.

TL;DR - TAPI just works.  Something is not right on your machine.  Have you tried a different PC?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Matt - thank you very much for your input.

Thanks,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back