Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya IP 500 v2 Basics (Newbie needs help to configure and old system) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsupportdotcom

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2020
IE
Hi All,
My first post on this forum and a newbie question so go easy on me :).
I have an Avaya IP 500v2 that I have inherited from the previous IT Administrator. We have moved to new offices and now I have to configure and set this up. I have never seen an Avaya system in my whole life before. There are no user manuals, no Avaya handsets, no instructions or any sort of documentation or labeling done. So far, I have been able to figure out the following:

[ul]
[li]Power on the system and connect to the LAN port with an IP address[/li]
[li]Able to make changes to the configuration using the Avaya GUI after resetting the system to factory defaults.[/li]
[li]Plug in 2 x phones and able to make and receive calls to extension 201 and 202 between the two phones.[/li]
[li]I have standard push button legacy phones and can access the Avaya software on my PC to make[/li]
[/ul]

I have attached two pictures as well. What I need to find out is the following:
[ul]
[li]There are two modules as you can see from the front of the unit. One with 4 x RJ45 ports and the second with 12 x RJ45 ports. What are both of these for?[/li]
[li]I have been able to use the second module with 12 x RJ45 ports where I can make and receive calls in only port 1 and 2. What are the other ports for?[/li]
[li]I would like to receive incoming calls from my service providers number. I can see in the software on the PC where the call routing can be done by can't figure out which port or module I need to plug in my service providers PSTN connection.[/li]
[/ul]

I forgot what license I have but I can provide that information if required. For the time being, I can only use the PSTN ports but in the future, I would like to use the soft phone and the AVAYA handsets as well. Do I need to purchase a license for those as well or is there a certain number of limited options that would be available for me to use out of the box.

Another thing that I noticed was that if I plug the service providers pstn cable in the two lower ports of the 4 x port module (port 10 and 12 I think), I am able to ring the landline number from my mobile and it goes in voicemail after 10 rings. But if I plug it in the top two ports (9 and 10) then the call goes straight to my service provider's voicemail system. This tells me that there is some sort of configuration done on those two ports which is bouncing it to the voicemail. Any ideas what that could be?

The second picture is a daughter card that was on the 4 x port module when I opened it.

20201116_075308_y25ywd.jpg

20201115_164337_l4blx0.jpg

Thanks for any assistance if anyone is knowledgeable about these systems.

1st card Vcm32 with PRI daughter board
port 9 is for a Isdn PRI circuit.
Port 10 is spare as it’s only used for Dual PRI ccts
Port 11 is spare and not used
Port 12 is spare and not used

2nd card
This is a 2 port pots card for 2 analogue extension.
Port 1 for extension 201
Port 2 for extension 202

All the rest are not used because they are the only Ports available due to the type of card

Ports 9,10,11,12 on all cards are for line position depending on the daughter card installed

Ports 1 to 8 on all cards are for the actual digital or analogue extensions. Depending on the card type.

In your case you only have 2 analogue extension.

Your system will be an IP system using IP phones
That’s why there is so few extension ports.

If you look at the licence on the system you will see the ip endpoint licences you have.
As long as you have not erased the licence.

Hope this helps

Hi snowman50. Thanks for the quick response. Yes that is a lot of information that you have provided. I have added a screenshot of my license. Hope this helps.

Capture_ysikps.png

Here's the Knowledgebase The main menu is for R11.1 or 11.0 but you probably have an older version so look for the PDFs.

The product description is a good place to start but there's a lot to get through.

Avaya modules use common designs but not all the ports are used. The number in () indicates the usable ports so Phone(1-2) means only ports 1 and 2 are connected.

I hope that before you "resetting the system to factory defaults" you saved a copy of the old configuration.

That configuration contains the original, paid-for licenses, which can no longer be retrieved due to Avaya discontinuing the "ADI" license program. The 12 virtual IP Endpoint licenses you see are by virtue of having the VCM card installed. You are still going to need an Essential license to get the system running, Preferred if you want Voicemail Pro, additional PRI channels if you need more than 8.

Avaya modules use common designs but not all the ports are used. The number in () indicates the usable ports so Phone(1-2) means only ports 1 and 2 are connected.]
Thanks ipohead

I hope that before you "resetting the system to factory defaults" you saved a copy of the old configuration.

That configuration contains the original, paid-for licenses, which can no longer be retrieved due to Avaya discontinuing the "ADI" license program. The 12 virtual IP Endpoint licenses you see are by virtue of having the VCM card installed. You are still going to need an Essential license to get the system running, Preferred if you want Voicemail Pro, additional PRI channels if you need more than 8.]

Unfortunately I did not back it up because I found out about it very late. Any chance I can activate it now? If I can't retrieve the licensing, then is the system still usable in any way for what I need it? What features will still work in it without activate the Essential License?

What software version is the system at.

Usually the manager creates a backup when you open it up and has connected to the system

If you look in the manager programme on your pc
You will see the backup files it has created

You can look at these off line..open the manager programme and don’t connect to system
Open an off line config and you might see the licence files

Or contact the previous IT manager and look at the pc or laptop they were using and they may have the original config there...🤞

I have managed to open the configs offline and there is no license at all except the current config which I sent as a screenshot above. The version of office Manager which I can see in Control Unit section is 6.0 (18). Not sure if that means anything. There is no other system that is available from previous Sysadmin as well. [sad]

Hi ipohead. Haven't seen this thread but will send an email to support as per the thread. I'll update as soon as I hear back from them.

so that is a good thing right? if it is an old system then what can I currently do with this considering I want to use standard push button phones with it? can i use the voip features in it? sorry if i sound like i am repeating my questions.

Well you do have 12 up licence and essential voicemail

So voip is possible. Ip phones only

You won’t have any lines at all unless you change to PRI lines
Or
Change/ add an new card as an analogue card

Put it on the 2 port pots card as a daughter card
That way you can have the second card as pots/ analogue lines on ports 9,10,11,12

so basically, I have 12 IP licenses to use with IP phones. Can I use the soft phones as well?

To change to PRI lines, do I need to add extra hardware or is it a service that I need to order? My phone is being provided by Virgin Media from their Hitron modem. Is that PRI?

Which ports 9, 10, 11 12 are you referring to? There are two modules each with ports 9, 10, 11, 12. Also, which one of the two modules do I need to pull out to add the daughter card. I will pull out the two modules and take their pictures as well.

2nd card
This is a 2 port pots card for 2 analogue extension.
Port 1 for extension 201
Port 2 for extension 202]

You mentioned in you first response that I already have 2 x analogues ports. If I need any extra cards then can you kindly provide links to the referenced cards you mentioned so far.

Thanks

Looking at your router I guess you are on Virgin Media Business in the UK. The two ports at the top on the back are for analogue phones.

How many lines do you actually need as PRI was designed for a minimum of 8. I think Virgin can still supply PRI but it isn't cheap.

On the modules the label on the left is for extensions and the one on the right for trunks if fitted. So in this case the analogue card will go in the second module.

There's a lot of ground to cover here so you might be better contacting a business partner, but you can get started by reading about the components.

Thank you Sir. Please see below more pictures that I have added. The slot on the left has an add-on card on it. Correct me if I'm wrong but is this a PRI card?

20201123_104755_fykic1.jpg

20201123_104826_pis1kx.jpg

Looking at your router I guess you are on Virgin Media Business in the UK. The two ports at the top on the back are for analogue phones.

How many lines do you actually need as PRI was designed for a minimum of 8. I think Virgin can still supply PRI but it isn't cheap.]

Virgin Media so far have given us two numbers. Is it not possible to use those two number instead of PRI? I think they can give us 4 more numbers at no additional cost.

On the modules the label on the left is for extensions and the one on the right for trunks if fitted. So in this case the analogue card will go in the second module.]

So as long as I have an add-on analog card on the right drawer / module, I should be able to use the virgin media phone line to route external calls.

Thanks so far for your patience. I'm a networks guy with 20 years experience and 70% of the knowledge carries over. The rest is product knowledge which as long as I know what I need to get the two Virgin Media lines to work with this system, I can read manuals to get the rest working.

Yes that is the PRI card. AFAIK your router has 2 analogues trunks regardless of the phone numbers that are allocated. It might be easier to answer your questions if we can understand how many lines and extensions you actually need!

I'm catching up with the jargon so now I know trunks are the incoming phone lines and the one's I refer to as modules are cards. [bigsmile]

We only need 2 analog trunks and 8 extensions. What I have learned so far, We have 2 x extensions available (201 and 202). so what do I need to add more to have more extensions? If I have to add any extra hardware, then is it possible for me to use the VOIP lines that I have available in which case I will possibly need to buy physical VOIP handsets or can I use the softphone app for the PC's?

The 4 x ports on the card to the left, is that useless in my case as I don't have any PRI? I will need your advice on the card to the right hand side,

You won’t have any lines at all unless you change to PRI lines
Or
Change/ add an new card as an analogue card

Put it on the 2 port pots card as a daughter card
That way you can have the second card as pots/ analogue lines on ports 9,10,11,12

The analog card that you mentioned, were you referring to the card on the left? If I have to add the analog trunk daughter card, then would I have to remove the PRI daughter card from the card on the left or can I add it to the card on the right as I have nothing on that card at the moment? Whichever side I go for, I think the card I need is the one in the link below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back