Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwoodbob

Technical User
Aug 26, 2009
US
Hello All,The company I work for recently acquired another company that has lots of Avaya equipment. I've worked with Nortel for years and have had only limited exposure to Avaya. Somehow I've been chosen to decommission all of this equipment which will require travel to many remote sites and perform site surveys.As you know site survey's will require logging into the Avaya G350's and S8300's at each location, verifying total number of sets, DID ranges, set configs etc etc.If this were Nortel, I wouldn't even be here asking but I need to know;* How do I connect my laptop? Console port? Crossover cable?* Do I need special software or can I use telnet or Hyperterm? and work from a command line?* Where can I find documentation? I'm searching Avaya's site and have some install docs for the G350's and S8300's but I need something relevant to commands or working with ARTIn nortel terms, for set info I would simply go to LD 20 TNB and DNB, drop the info to a txt file and voila.Does anyone know the equivelant for Avaya? I'm not looking to be an expert, just need enough info to get set configs.I'll apologize now for the lack of info, but you know as much as I do at this point.Any and all help is appreciated.

You should go under the Definity forum here. This is just for the Partner which is a much less complex system than the G350/S8300.

Also worth noting is that the Definity is a very complex system, so you may need to secure the services of an Avaya Business Partner who has been trained on the Definity platform.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Telecomboy - Thanks. Did a copy/paste.

Dexman - Understood. I'm not going to support the equipment, just need to extract enough information from it to decommission it and deploy Cisco. Worse case scenario is that I visit each phone and check setup and make notes regarding speed dials, voicemail, hunt groups, roll patterns etc. Then visit the demarc, get circuit ID's etc then call the vendors for DID ranges etc as well as any analog lines that may be connected. I'm just trying to make this as easy and as painless as possible. I've visited the Avaya Support site, lots of great info and documentation but like Nortel, unless you know excalty what you're looking for you could spend a liftime sifting through all of the docs until you find what you need. If you can recommend any specific documentation, that would be great.

Redwoodbob - I understand that you are decomm-ing the Definities.

But in order to understand out how things are set-up, routed & processed....as well as locate these things in the programming....training is a must.

There is a ton of Definity info on Avaya's website so, as you noted, unless you know exactly what you're looking for, it could take forever + a day to find it.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back