Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 4412D+ extension inoperable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkesting

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
US
I have an Avaya 4412D+ phone (connected to a Merlin Magix) system that is having an issue. The voicemail light is flashing red and nothing else lights up on the phone. No dialtone, nothing. The phone itself is good as it works in other positions. The wiring also seems to be fine.

Any thoughts?

Power cycle the Magix. Take the phone directly to the terminal block, hopefully you've used bridge clips so that you can open up the connection, scab on a jack with a piece of jumper wire, and test the phone and port right there. If it works, work your way through all of the cross connects, trying the phone at the IDFs, until you reach the workstation, until you find the problem.

If the phone doesn't work when attached right to the block at the control unit, you have a bad port on the Magix, need to switch to a working one, and renumber so the phone can be the same extension number as before.

Okay Tommy, that sounds like a great plan to start with. I will try that on Monday. Thanks

I have run into the identical issue over longer distances. For the 44XX series phones, try my cheater:
26 AWG 2000 feet
24 AWG 3000 feet
22 AWG 5000 feet
I've extended these digital sets in high-rise buildings and drag strips. Distance and clean pairs will absolutely make the difference. By "clean", I also suggest checking the mechanical connections at punch blocks and splices, if any.

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back