Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automation process

Status
Not open for further replies.

aishaaa

Programmer
May 1, 2002
AE
Hi

We need to automate one of the process but I don’t have any idea which type of code I can use it’s 2 different system one is front end system send auto generated email per transaction ( beneficiary name, amount , branch )and from different branches .. we need to compile all this email to one excel sheet ..ether from the db or run a program to extract the data from the email it’s self after this step we need to download the excel sheet to another back office system ( this is fine I can deal with it ) the first part of automation I don’t know what to choose and who to start please help if u have any idea … please

Ok - I'm not clear from your post: are the "per transaction" emails being generated automatically from Excel (via Outlook or???) ? If so, is that piece already working, or do you need help with that as well?

So after you generate an email, you want to add it to a log to save the essential details from that email?

Be as specific as you can be in answering these questions and describing exactly what you need help with. Then we can give you a much more specific answer!

Thanks,

VBAjedi [swords]

The email "per transaction" is generated automatically from different system ( BA system ) and sent to outlook user ..
I want to gather all the data available in this email .. around 4 lines ( beneficiary name, amount, currency, ref (contain branch short name and auto generated number) to excel sheet …

i hope this is clear .. let me know if it's not ok

Hmmm. . . well, I suspect that extracting the data from an email would be difficult. In addition, it would either require that the email recipient manually trigger the process or require a rule in Outlook that triggers the process when the email is received. I haven't done something like that before and don't know how much help I would be.

How about getting the data directly from the DB? Would the recipient(s) of that email have permission/access to run some kind of a query against the originating DB?

As an aside, why can't you skip the import to Excel/ export from Excel steps altogether? Seems like it would be more direct to just transfer your data from one backend system to another. . .

VBAjedi [swords]

Hi thanks alot for your reply ..
I was thinking the same it's difficult to get the information from the email and we cant give the user access to the original DB .. but i didn’t understand the last part i mean the extract from excel can you please explain it to me so i can start working..

Well, I was just wondering why the user has to trigger the data transfer process at all. If they don't have access to the backend systems it's going to be awkward (at best!) for them to be involved in that process. Why can't it be set to transfer directly from one backend system to the other when the email is generated?

Sorry I can't be more specific - I'm just brainstorming. The situation has only been very generally described so far, so that's about all I can do.

VBAjedi [swords]

Thanks alot again VBAjedi ....

Now I know what I want exactly .. the data base will be from SMM server and I will run query to get the information I required … but do you think I should develop a small VB program to do the same or write a macro in excel which get the information daily when ever the user open and press like get it will update the excel sheet with new info .. but do u have any idea how to start with this ..

Regards,
Aisha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back