Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic email if stocks drop below a certin level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris987

Technical User
Jul 10, 2012
GB
hi,
im a novice with access but ive designed a basic stock control program for my boss which displays stock based on a calculation of [Tdeliveries.addition] Minus [Tsale.deduction] in my TProducts table i have a field MinStockLvl is there anyway to automate an email to be sent if the calculation is <= to the MinStockLvl for that product i have very little understanding of VBA but im learning fast but im not sure if this can be done as the stock level is based on a calculation. items are scanned out of our warehouse i would ideally like the email to be send the moment the item is scanned out but if it has to be a cmd button that i press and the end of the day to send and email with all products that match the criteria that would do

There are several parts to this.

1. Think about how often you want to receive notification and how you flag a particular item as already being notified. I would add a date field to contain the email notification date.

2. Create a query that retrieves all the stock records that require notificateion and have a blank email notification date.

3. Generate the emails based on the records that are retrieved from the query. It could be data from the record itself or a report that lists it (just email the PDF of the report).

4. Update the email notification date field after the email is sent.

5. Decide how often a check should be done. Maybe daily?

You may be able to do this with a simple Docmd.SendObject command. Here's some info on it along with some limitations:
I use Total Access Emailer from FMS to automate my emails from Access. It runs as an add-in, so you can use it without any VBA programming (you'd have to come up with the queries of what you want to email). It also has a VBA library that you can tie to an event like a button on a form or a macro that can be run everyday at a specific time. They have a free trial here:
Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back