Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated Startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zadbo

Technical User
Mar 20, 2000
Does anyone know of anyway that it is possible to program a boot time for a pc running win95 or win98 so that it will startup automatically at a certain time ?<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

please respond to zadbo427@bolt.com

Well, you could use one of those Light Timers that people use when they go on vacation, ie if all you want is the thing to start at, say 7 AM so it's ready when you get to it.<br>
--Jim

Is this where win95/98 is going in the next 5 years then? ;-)

why turn it of?<br>
if worried about energy use power profile

At our site, we have janitors that do this. When I was in the Air Force, we used Lieutenants.

All Macintosh computers since about 1994 or 95 come standard with such a feature. It boots the computer and shuts it down at predetermined user times, although Monday through Friday times are one setting. However, since all Macs come with a robust scripting language, this can be automatically customized everyday at startup and/or shutdown via an automatic script.<br><br>I would guess there might be a pc mother board out there that has such a feature, too. The Macintosh motherboards have an extra (Motorola) chip that handles this task. So I would assume that the chip or a similar one is available to pc motherboard manufacturers too.

yeah...why turn it off... all the new MotherBoards are<br>energy saving ... so when there is inactivity for more<br>than,say, 30min, it goes into standby. Here all systems are<br>down. Monitor off, HDD off, CPU fan only on.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;And you can time it to come on if the phone rings<br>ie: the IRQ port to which the modem is set to can turn on the comp if there is activity!<br><br>&nbsp;Oh, yeah the newer motherboards have&nbsp;&nbsp;an automatic switch on! I have that for my PIII, although&nbsp;&nbsp;I dont use that feature.<br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back