Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do we need an automated 'thanks'? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwydionM

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
GB
I could have posted this to thread717-611615, but to me it seems a new topic.

At the moment, if you ask technical advice and get a decent answer, you can post a written thank-you. Or you can award a star.

Posting a written thank-you wastes the time of everyone who was interested in the topic and checks it out in the hope that a new approach has been found.

A lot of people who do take the trouble to thank those who help them are also reluctant to post a star, which implies expertise as well as helpfullness. Is the answer of general interest to everyone?

'Thanks' could be an extra option, maybe just for the person who started the thread.

Do people agree it would be a good idea?

------------------
A view from the UK

Lots of variables.

If the poster could reflect a solution to their needs and be able to change that would be best...

I would like to see that type of action available especially when I get into long threads.

Maybe even a posters oftion to comment in a response. That would maybe help if two or more people are helping you at one time to reduce the confusion.

But these are all bells and whistles too I guess. I like it as is too. Don't even care if I get a thank you, just like to keep my brain working :)

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

I don't think it is a waste of time to say thank you, when somebody took the time to help you out. It's common courtesy to say thanks.

WZUP said:
>>In this forum it's not about competition

I agree with johnwm, I don't know how many times I have reveiw a question and found a reply like....

You have 100 questions ask and only 2 helpful..

I think it is helpful to point out to a person that if they do not 'thank' people the reality is they will likely not get as much friendly advice as they otherwise might.

I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, but it is in a person's best interest to hand out stars.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back