Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated dialing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerribleTerry

Programmer
Nov 12, 2003
US
Is there a way to get XP/Pro to, at a specified time, dial up an phone number (which happens to be an ISP access point), get connected, run a process and then disconnect? The process I'm uses Ant with an XML buildfile, but I can't find any Ant task that can cause XP to dial up the connection. I thought of setting up XP so that it dials a number when it needs a connection. This appears to work (most of the time) for Outlook Express and IE, but not for an Ant task (because it's in a DOS window?)

Schedule two tasks:

. Connect to the internet at address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
. Two minutes later launch your DOS task.

Hi bcastner,

Thanks for the input. However,

1) what task do you schedule to make the connection? (As I mentioned, running an Ant task doesn't seem to do it. Maybe there's a Windows program that can be run - perhaps launching IE with a parameter? - tho I'm not sure how to do that.)

2) how do you disconnect the dial-up connection when you're done? (maybe send some message - somehow - to the modem from my code?)

Appreciate any clarifications you might care to provide.

1. Schedule the URL as the task target line.

2. Use the 'disonnect after idle' feature of your connection properties sheet to set a suitable idle timeout and disconnection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back