Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automated way to Delete Temp files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofusjtf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2004
US
Is there an automated way to delete temp files from user profiles and the Windows temp location? Or is there some sort of tool that will do this?

What about files such as the 170 files with names similar to "Perflib_Perfdata_148.dat" and the various one in the sequence "JET4DFC.tmp" -- is it safe to delet them? And then there are all those "JET4DFC.tmp" files. I deleted most of these files once and ended up with nothing but trouble.

Additionally, if I'm running the Indexing service, there are thousands of 16-byte Hex-numbered folder names. Last week I deleted 19,700 of those sucking up a couple of GBs. Doesn't windows have some way of automatically removing them as the indexing moves to "completion?"

Hi Rick, you are correct. If you take a look on that page you will see:

CleanDiskAutomation
Allows workstations to be remotely configured to run Disk Cleanup Wizard at scheduled times with preconfigured settings. This script requires setting a number of options to select time to run cleanup, days to execute and what options to clean.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Most .tmp files should (if programmed and coded correctly) have a lifetime of 1 logon or booting session, if the file is in use Windows should prevent you from deleting it (while in Windows). This is why it is better to run these type of batch files at every Startup rather than every Logon.

Ramifications of deleting temp files at shutdown/startup?
thread779-949752

Have to reinstall stuff all the time
thread779-832634

dthede said:
What about files such as the 170 files with names similar to "Perflib_Perfdata_148.dat" and the various one in the sequence "JET4DFC.tmp" -- is it safe to delet them? And then there are all those "JET4DFC.tmp" files. I deleted most of these files once and ended up with nothing but trouble.
I delete those Perforce files along with everything else in my Temp directory. The files that are in use simply won't get deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back