Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocomplete problems with Caps Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinnKota

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
US
I have a Combobox field that has a row source from a table. It autofills as the user types in a name. It works fine except when the Caps Lock key is pressed for example:

The name the user is looking for is Ted Beach

With Caps lock OFF, you can type Ted Beach and it begins to autofill after "Te" but the user can keep typing with ruining the autofill.

With Caps lock ON, after typing "Te" it begins to fill in capital letters so that the final result looks like "TeDD BEACHd Beach"

What is going on?

How are ya MinnKota . . . .

To my knowledge [blue]autocomplete is not case sensitive[/blue].

i would delete an reconstruct the CB control. Sometimes (no explaination) controls don't work as they should 1st time out.

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

I constructed a totally new form with a combo box that has a Row Source of a Value List. I get the same problem as I did before. I fill in the first two letters and then it autofinds the value; if I keep typing with the caps lock on, it doesn't work properly.

MinnKota . . . . .

Using Access 2K, I tried table, Query, SQL, & Value List. All with absolutely no problem. So I can only suggest:

1) Version and/or Required Service Pak problem.

2) Compact & Repair or possible ReInstall.

Maybe someone will stop by who has run across. Meantime I will research this. If I find anything, of course I'll let ya know . . . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

I would be interested to see some more folks try this to see how it behaves for them.

(1) Create a combo box on a form that is based on a value list. For continuity sake, make the values US states.

(2) Test the combo box with Caps on and Caps off.

(3) With caps off, it will autofind/autofill when you begin typing. The autofill text will be highlighted with a black box and will stay in the field until a letter is typed which it doesn't recognize as being part of the list.

(4) With caps ON, (for me) after typing two letters, it no longer smotthly incorporates my input into the autofill text so Montana end up looking like 'MoONTANAontana' when I am done typing.

I have all the current updates; the DB is compacted and repaired; it treats the other users the same way.

I apologize to all from MT . . . I realize as I reread my post that it is not MOONtana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back