Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto ID throwing me off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2004
US
One of my teammates has a master form. On this form there is master data etc in the header, including an autonumber field. In the details section she has 5 tabs with various subforms on each. On one tab, for example, if you check a yes/no box, a subform will pop up so that information pertaining to that checkbox can be entered.
Where it gets confusing is that all fields are coming from the same table. So on the subform that pops up, she has the autonumber field as well. She's trying to tie these subforms to the master for id.
A) is there an easier way to do this?
B) The subform always opens to the number BEFORE or AFTER the master forms id #

Thanks

Clarification:
2 tables total? 1 on the mainform and 1 that is spread across multiple subforms?
If so, this is easily doable, just put the foreign key on the subforms and hide it. Also check to make sure that you have the link Master and link Child properties set in the subform controls.

How are ya NOVAmichelle . . . . .
NOVAmichelle said:
[blue]The subform [purple]always opens to the number BEFORE or AFTER[/purple] the master forms id #[/blue]
[ol][li]The [blue]Autonumber[/blue] Control (which I believe to be the [purple]PrimaryKey[/purple]) can be removed from the subforms. This will of course generate some reformatting of the subforms.[/li]
[li]In agreement with [blue]RobSindle[/blue] the subForms are obviously not synchronized/linked to the MainForm. You'll have to go into the [purple]Link Master/Child[/purple] properties for each subform and set them up. Your teammate should have noticed this and at least asked/fixed the error![/li][/ol]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back