Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

auto export event logfile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobeau

MIS
Apr 19, 2004
US
Hey guys, I wrote a VB program that will allow me to automatically email myself the event logfiles from my computers at work so I can keep track of error reports in a more organized fasion. the only problem I'm having is that I'm trying to figure out how I can schedule the event logs to be exported to a location so that the application I wrote can send them to me. I've tried writing a batch file that would copy the "AppEvent.evt" and "SysEvent.evt" to a location, and it worked except for the fact that when I tried opening those files it said that the files were corrupted. I'm obviously doing something wrong here. Is there some other way I can schedule an export so that I can send and view these logfiles?

thanx for the response bcastner. I was actually looking for a program or command line that would allow me to export the logfile so that I can use the VB app to send it to me so that I can have the logfiles archived in my outlook. I didn't see a way to save the logfile as a textfile in the psloglist command line. Is there a way to do that in this command line? or is there another command line that I can schedule to do this automatically?

Sorry, I was not trying to be obtuse. You can redirect the console output to a text file:
psloglist options >test_file.txt

PsLoglist supports remote computers, selectable Event Logs, and is easily batched.

You can also use the Resource Kit utility DUMPEL.EXE:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back