Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto attendant problem...or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill712

Technical User
Oct 27, 2004
US
I got a call from a customer, who we just installed, and he told me he was having an issue with his auto attendant: they are on R7 with R7 messaging 4 ports. They have 3 CO lines in the system.

Here is the problem. If line 1 and 2 are busy, and a call comes in on 3 it automatically goes to ext 18 which is attached to an automated banking system. I called the 3rd line directly and it went to auto attendant. The customer says it only does it when line 1 and 2 are busy. I checked line coverage, and ownership in VM, checked the selector code and everything seems normal. I can't think of any other thinks to check. I had the customer call all the ports and verify they are in hunt, they are.

I am looking for some ideas...anyone?

Thanks for the assistance!

Bill

Are you sure all 4 ports are programed and working correctly?

I had him call the ports individually they all answered as they should.

You are thinking something when your asking about the programming...go ahead tell me what your thoughts are!!

Did YOU duplicate the problem by busying out line 1 and 2, and calling the main number (not directly to line 3)?

Perhaps the telco has line 2 hunting to something other than line 3 - maybe the fax machine that the customer is mistaking for the automatic banking machine.

Is there any sort of line sharing switch on line 3? [ponder]

Touchtonetommy,
No I have not been to the site yet to verify it personally, was looking to have some kind of an idea before I headed out there.

The customer has done the testing and he tells me that he had the girls busy lines 1 and 2 and then he called in off cellphone and he said 3 out of 3 times it went to the automated banking system (ext 18).

The rollover is a thought I hadn't considered, but wonder what they could possibly be doing that would make the call go to ext 18 (which is Selector Code 3 in the AA menu, which is set to selector code transfer to ext 18).

I was thinking about using a sub menu and using the submenu to allow them to out to the calling group or continue to the automated banking system...don't know if they will go for it but it is an option!

let me know what you think

Bill

Before you do anything I would go and verify the problem first hand. Never take the customers word for stuff like that.

Okay two of you have asked me about other items attached to the third line. Thats great but what are you thinking about?

I have had systems before with trunks being shared by alarms and such and I don't recall having this particular problem...so by all means let me know if you have had a past experience with a line being shared that causes a problem in the auto attendant...

In the mean time I will be going out there this afternoon to see what is going on with it.

Thanks for all the help, and keep it coming!!!

Bill

well the line goes through the alrm before it gets to the phone switch /AA the alarm has a modem .

I have had the alarm answer with the modem tone , customer thinks its a fax (or in your case bank machine )

I had one where the alarm company denied it customer was Pizzed at me . it was consistant so I met the customer on site , called in we heard the alarm tone I walked out unplugged the the line from the fire alram , it went away .

left the alrm unplugged called back in a few times everything ok plugged the alrm back in and got the tone

then she belived me

Thanks skip555,

they may have an alarm line, and I will know more tonight after I stop there on the way home. So stay riveted to see what is going on!

Bill

Bill712

Or to add to what TTT has put in, check to see if they have the call forward feature on the line and it is forwarding somewhere else.

Okay! resolution to this problem. They did some reprogramming and removed line 3 from group call distribution, that solved some of it. When the system was put into night line 3 was set to cover to night greeting after 4 rings...therefore allowing the automated banking system modem to answer first...re-set number of rings to 0 problem solved.

Thanks for all of your ideas and assistance...thats why I like this forum!!!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back