Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching Analogue Fax Machine to Mitel 3300 Mxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBroadway

Technical User
Sep 2, 2010
GB
Hi All,

As the subject suggests, how would I go about using an analogue fax machine, and assigning it a VoIP extension? I assume it will be SIP?

How would I physically attach it via IP etc? Or would it need to be directly connected to the controller somehow? and in that scenario how would a big site for example with 100+ analogue fax machines work?

Surely not all physically attached to the controller......

I keep reading about fax gateways, third parties, Nupoint, but I cant actually work out the connectivity.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Ian

The MXe has 4 ONS ports built in that can be used for fax. You can also attach ASUII's or peripheral nodes from the SX2000 or SX200 and fill them with analog cards. For an IP solution you would need an ATA device that coverts from IP to analog. There are a number to choose from such as the Cisco SP3102. These devices are programmed as SIP extensions on the 3300.

That said keep in mind that fax in an IP eviroment is not perfect. There are many articles on the web where the topic is discussed in more detail then I would put here but basically IP Voice used for fax can have issues. Basically voice is UDP which is a connectionless protocol with no error corrrection or retransmissions. The T.38 protocol was introduced to help the fax issues. It uses TCP to make sure packets get delivered. If you have lots of bandwidth, great it usually works fine. I have used the ATA devices with mixed success. If your faxes do need to cross IP trunks ( you have a gateway 3300 or are in a cluster ) at some point in the call then you need to have t.38 licenses and a DSP card in every 3300 in the path.

Sorry but when people talk about 100 plus fax machines I have to just shake my head. I know people are used to them and like them and there are some reasons to still have them but I would push to go to a fax server or use the Nupoint to cut those totals down. If people really look at it they can cut down their analog needs.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Its Public Sector, converting potentially from a Siemens Realtis/ISDX to VoiP, site wide. We'd inherit a lot of fax machines that at first would need to work.

Over time I'm sure we would look at other, slicker solutions.

Many Thanks
Ian

Public Sector, say no more.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Lou is correct, however note the the MCD uses UDP (not TCP) for T.38, so it's still not 100% reliable. There are TCP versions of T.38, but I don't think they are widely used.

I've used Mediatrix IP to analog converters with good success

They have versions up to 24 ports

Rarely need T.38 (surprisingly)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Agree with all. In faxing its all about the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back