Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attaching a MS Word doc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

childlead

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
hi.

i'm trying to attach an important ms word doc into the database. is there any way to do this? basically, i have a bug tracking software and i have word doc containing some important information. i wanted to attach this doc on to the record. do you know how i can go about this? thank you so much for your help.

Create a field in your table to store the document. Call it whatever you want. just make sure it's a OLE Object. Now i'd add this new field to your form. In form view you should be able to right click in the new field and click Insert Object. I usally create from file hopefully your file is stored on a publec drive that every can get to. Next it will ask for the path of the file. you can also link the file from where ever it lives or have Access store the file. Linking is probally the best option as it won't make your database bigger. If i were you i would click/highlight display as icon, that way when you open the form to the record you'll have a Word icon displayed. If you don't select that option Access will try to imbed the entire file in your form "it's just messy". Now when ever someone opens the form to that record you'll have a word document icon that can be doubled clicked and viewed/printed.

Hope this helps
SA

hello SA812

thank you. that was really helpful and it worked. but when i created that box containing the word doc, it appears on all of my records as i scroll from records 1 to 5. i want it for just only one record. thanks again for your help.

hi.

i find the solution to my second question. no need to answer. thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back