Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ATI 9600XT, Vista, BSOD!!! :-[

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoePwns

Technical User
Jul 7, 2007
US
Hello, Just registered after seening having a few problems with this computer i recently built. I figure i have a problem with the ATI 9600XT video card,

" i am having almost the same problems stated in that post. Well heres the low down.

-Using a Biostar P4M80-M4 Mobo/ 1GB, 500GB, IntelP4 -2.67ghz/DVD/CD
-Running Windows Vista Ultimate, No Problems at all
-Currently- Using the standard VGA connection,Running Vista (Built in video card on mobo)

So i spent almost from 1PM-To now trying to figure out my problem here, When i insert the ATI9600 into the mobo and start up, starts up perfectly then after a few minutes i get a Quick blue screen and a restart. I take out the ATI and use the standard connection and seem to have no problem at all. I downloaded the latest catalyst from the companys site , and im still gettin the same Blue screen and the Quick restart. Anyone out there that knows the soultion to this problem??, Thank you. (sorry for this long story)

When you put in this video card, are you disabling the onboard one? Also have you tried this video card on another system to ensure its not defected?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Im trying, but when i re-start up windows it loads to this Blue screen with some info and disappears in 2 secs and restarts, and asks me if i wanna start windows normally over and over, and when i do get on windows and it starts to load up it goes back to its blue screen story. + I have the monitor connected to the ATI, should i connect to the onboard and disable from there?

Also, No, i havent tried it on any other computers cause i only own 2 which is a laptop and this desktop here.

The onboard video is disabled in the cmos.

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

K im looking at the CMOS Setup Utility

im not sure where to really go here is the selections:

Standard Cmos Features went there and it had a Video selection but nothing about disabling just; EGA/VGA,CGA 40,CGA 80,MONO and thats all)

Advanced Bios features> Shadow Setup>Video BIOS Shadow>Enable/Disable?? Currently Enabled

Now im looking at the AGP&P2P Control, everything is enabled except the AGP FAST WRITE and AGP 3.0 CALIBRATION Cycle.

any suggestions??..

no thats not it. What is the brand and model number of the motherboard?

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status: Works Perfectly with the onboard Video, ATI9600 is still giving me a ton of errors.

I cant find your exact version so look in the manual that came with it, it will have where to find to disable onboard video.

Disable it and then try the video card and see if it works.

The manual does not have anything about disabling the onboard video only thing it says about video is that " Your monitor will attach directly to that video card. This mother board supports video cards for PCI slots, but it is also equipped with an accelerated graphics port (AGP). An AGP card will take advantage of AGP technology for improved video efficiency and performance, especially with 3D graphics

was this computer build by a brand or did you build it?

Then your manual should be detailed in explaing the bios. It should tell you how to disable onboard video. If it doesnt it will be the first one ive seen that doesnt. The manual im refering to is the motherboard manual. It will most likely be under advanced.

I have a Biostar MB (many actually it's my default platform for the office), looked through the BIOS, saw no obvious way to disable onboard graphics, but that should not matter. If it's an AGP card, and it's working, you should be able to run them both. From the thread you cited above:

linney said:
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
Click on Advanced System Settings, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

this will allow the BSOD to remain on-screen while you write down the error, the most important information is the first set of numbers i.e. STOP:00000008X or the like, and the text, like MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. Do this first. Run Windows Update too.

I'm betting it's a bad card, but remember most Windows issues are driver-based (according to Bill). First, uninstall all ATI drivers. In BIOS, select "Load Optimized Defaults" as that enables the AGP slot as 4X. Let the OS boot and detect the card, see what happens.

If no joy, remove card, post BSOD info here. Go to and get the latest driver for your card, try again. If you have access to another PC with an AGP slot, try the card and see what happens. Slight chance it could be an underpowered PSU but not likely.

Tony

I shall try it out tommmorow, as of now the ATI is back in its box im about to contact the seller and get a refund and go get me a vista capable video card if wahnula's method does Not work, thanks guys ill keep it updated.

Yeah it is a AGP,PCI,PCI-E also it has been in the 8X mode since i got the mobo. Tommmorow morning i shall try it out.

Well i couldnt sleep so i decided to try the method out, I've done what was told up there^, everything booted up perfectly, i started to install the drivers i downloaded from the ati site then all of a sudden i get the BSOD.

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Technical Information: ***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000014, 0x00000000,0x8187B995)

Then its, Collecting data for crash dump...etcetc

2ND Attempt to start windows but this time i went into the bios nd setted it to 4X instead of the 8X (loading optimize defaults didnt change it)

Started up windows again and then it said found new hardware then it said windows encountered a problem and cannot install device, Windows has stop this device because it has reported problems(Code43).

Now while installing the Catalyst it said: Driver Install: The INF file was not found I clicked Ok and the installation still went on...Then i got hit with the BSOD again this time a different Error Number, Technical Information: ***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x819EAB8E,0x93495774,0x00000000.

I Give up. Gnite

What i have on mind here is to Send this item back to the seller and get me a GeForce FX 5500 what you guys think?

The only ting that I can think of is a thread sticking in the driver...or not enough power...how big is the power supply?

To test the hardware acceleration of the card, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
On the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Troubleshoot tab.
Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
Click OK, and then click OK.

What happens? This error is from everything from a USB mouse to bad RAM, and everything in-between. If the card now works, crank up acceleration slowly until the event happens again...if it does, you've got a bum card or underpowered PSU.

Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back