Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon XP2000+ temperature 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirCon

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2003
ID
Hi all,

Last month I upgraded my PC with Athlon XP2000+ (palomino). The processor comes with 80mm fan 3750-RPM. The mobo is ECS L7S7A2 with SiS 746 chipset. The case has four fans in it. Two at the lower front blow into the case. The other two is at the upper back and the middle right to suck the air off the case.

After several hours, I saw the CPU temp is 58-59C (avg). I often let the computer run for days/week. I wonder if the temp is okay which I don't think it is

Does anyone knows of a standard temp for this processor ? The weather here is about 30C if that makes a different

Thanks in advance

-- AirCon --

Thanks a lot for your explanation. I take it as mine is the bad one. I'll try to ask (negotiate) them to replace it with the new one :-D

What is "Thermalright SLK800" is it thermal or cooler ?
If it is cooler, which one is better comparing to Volcano ?

-- AirCon --

AirCon, "volcanoes" really SUCK! THey would be no better than your stock fan (telling from experimenting experience). I can tell you one solution, that does not require removing the heatsing at all. Buy some cheapo heatsink+fan, but the fan has to have at least 5000 RPM (as opposed to yours 3500). I have one of those (mine is 6500, really noisy, but does a lot). So if it becomes hot - just unscrew the amd fan, and screw the other one in its place!

Well..well.. I'll try your suggestion tomorrow

Thanks squidman [thumbsup2]

-- AirCon --

The reason I guessed that the fan was 70mm was the RPM figure gave it away, just goes to show how geeky I've become doesn't it, anyway, stock 80mm fans spin around 2,500rpm, 70's around 3,750 and 60mm units around 5,000, but the rpm figure doesn't necessarilly mean a great deal! it's the CFM rating, the amount of air the fan shifts in a minute that determines it's cooling power.
So for instance it is possible to have all three of the above fans all spinning at differant speeds but all shifting the same amount of air.
So to improve on your cooling but keeping your retail heatsink, you need a fan that shifts more air (higher CFM rating) you will see that a higher output fan replacement would be deeper, maybe 25mm compared to the stock 10mm deep unit, the blades will be broader and of a greater pitch, the motor in the centre would be larger to overcome the greater resistance of the larger impeller, these broader, deeper blades spinning at the same or faster speed will blow a greater volume of air over the heatsink in a given time (higher CFM rating)
There are extremely powerful fans you can buy like the renowned Delta series that shift an unbelievable amount of air but at the cost of extreme noise.
It is worth noting that the bigger the diameter of fan used (for a given CFM rating) the quieter the noise it makes, so if you had those 3 same fans above and they were all around 35CFM rating, the larger 80mm fan would be the quietist and so it follows for a given noise rating (db) the 80mm fan would be the most powerful (have the highest CFM rating) I know these are generalisations.
All of the current Volcano series ( 7,9 & 7+) would be an improvement over your retail cooler, especially the Volcano 7+ (all copper) this cooler makes the current top 10 list and would be a good choice (but they are a little noisey.
The Thermalright SLK800 (all copper)is a beast of a heatsink, it is one of the best coolers currently available, one of it's features is that it can accomodate 60,70 or 80mm fan sizes so depending on intended use, you could choice an ultra powerful 80CFM Delta Black 60mm fan (powerful but very noisey) or a quiet Neon 80mm unit around 34CFM and anything in between, but with any fan choice, cooling capability would be much improved over the stock item.
Visit Thermalrights site:

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I think I'll have to try it all. Sort of trial and error I guess :)

Thanks a lot paparazi [thumbsup2]

-- AirCon --

Hey again AirCon. I know, that there are as many opinions, as there are people. But what i do know - is that Volcano (i ve tried both 7+ and 9 in our comp. club) are EXTREMELY noisy pieces of crap. Here's a really good article. I give you a link to a specific part of it, but read it whole, as it has info about your cooler as well. Note: toms CPU is 54 degrees. And dont forget: his numbers are really precise, because he uses precision equipment as opposed to themral resistor on your (and mine, and verybody else's) mobo.

P.S Compare the TDIE of stock 2000+, and Volcano if you dont take my word for it.

Cheers! :)))

well i have a vocano 7 and yes it is noisy, but i turned mine down to 3000 rpm with antec silver paste and my XP1800 runs @ 32c idle so cant be that bad surely ;)

As I mentioned above, it's airflow that's going to make the difference.
paparazi has nicely confirmed that, by explaining about CFM.
Grab the biggest (in CFM), fastest, quietest fan you can find, and screw it on the heatsink in place of the original, and you'll definitely get better cooling.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Hi all

Finally, I had replaced my colling fan with a cheap fan+heatsink and an additional cheap case fan (side by side with the fan in the middle right) but, blow the air onto the processor. Now the temp is about 50c, 53c at peak!

Thanks again to everyone who responded
[2thumbsup]

-- AirCon --

I did too (for experiment)! I unscrewed my stock AMD fan (without bothering the sink) and screwed the one from my old Cooler Master cooler (The cooler was HCC-1. It is bigger, CuAl, NOISIER, has an airflow of 28CFM and RPM of 6500, but proved to be WORSE (because of thick fins of the heatsink) than the stock). It was REALLY, REALLY noisy (amd sink has more fins = more air resistance = more noise), but the t dropped to 41 degrees (instead of 45). Ill consider this again when hot summer comes, or when i want to overclock.

Good Luck AIrCOn!
Happy that you finally got what yo wanted!

The moral of the story is this: You dont have to spend $$$ to have the value of the $$$.

Happy that you finally got what yo wanted!

The moral of the story is this: You dont have to spend $$$ to have the value of the $$$

YESSS!!! got what I wanted. No flaky things. The "cheap tricks" does the trick :-D :-D :-D

You should consider it too!

Thanks a lot squidman [thumbsup2]

-- AirCon --

Hey Guys,

I just got a Athlon XP 2000+ on ECS K7S5A PRO motherboard. I have 2 questions: first I have to run on front side bus of 133 133, while the CPU should be able to run at 166 133 (I think) Memory is 512 DDR pc 2700 (only 2100 is supported apparrently, but got a rebate :). At 166 133 the system does not even boot.. Second is the temp. it runs at 61 C.. I run 100% because of seti and the fans are fairly okay (4500 rpm, but no heat grease..). The funny thing is: when I took my last CPU back to the store because it was running only at 1250 MHZ (I had the front side bus at 100/100) they exchanged it for running hot. But now that I run 133/133 it does run at 1659 MHZ.. So either both chips are bad, or both ore good and I need to get a copper heatsink and apply thermal grease (I did not now..).

Thanks for reading and anny comments!

Thermal compound!! Just check the link in my reply above, that guy didn't use any either.

By the way, AirCon, sorry about the confusion.

You're not alone,

TomCologne

You seem a little confused, your XP2.0+ actually has a clock speed of 1667mhz so your 1659 posted is close enough.
The two settings you keep refering to are the memory and the fsb of the CPU, so when you say 133/133 that actually means the memory is set to 133 and CPU front side bus is set to 133 which is correct for this motherboard and processor set at normal default (unclocked) speed. Not 166/133 or 100/100. So neither of the two CPU's were faulty they were just set wrong.
The reason for this is:
XP2.0+ CPU's are 266fsb processors and require memory setting to 133 (DDR doubles this to 266) so your PC2700 (333) memory modules are effectively running underclocked but thats OK. (the fsb would be 166 if you had one of the thoroughbred or Barton CPU's with the 166fsb) these are mostly the CPU's over XP2.5+ in the range.
You seem awfully blazé about not using paste, it just is so important I cannot believe a technical professional wouldn't know this. (you could compare this to driving your car without air in the tyres untill someone pointed it out to you) it is just such a basic requirement.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back