Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Athlon XP 2600+ Barton Socket A (462) Ram settings? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hi Guys,just a little confused,still trying to deal with older systems for my better half,who still just wants the older system.Make sence? ok here we go,right now she has a Athlon 1Gig cpu socket 462 on a Gigabyte Ep-8RDA3+ motherboard with 512 meg Dual channel pc3200 ddr 400 ram,the ram is only running at 100mhz,and it's ddr 400,kinda slo going to boost her up to a Athlon XP 2600+ Barton Chip AXDA2600DKV4D,and 1 gig 2x512 Dual channel ocz pc3200 ddr 400.do you think it will make a difference at all? It's going to run at least 333mhz,instead of 100mhz..Question I have,Do I set the ram to run at SPD witch is 400mhz,or auto witch will be 333mhz.Whats the best way to set this 2600+ XP,with 400 DDR?? to run at it's best.Thankyou for any help on this.

Quote;
Yours has a max operating temp of 85°C.......Indeed but they would start playing up at a much lower temperature that this.
General concensus at the time was stable at anything less than 60C.....with mid 60's being the point at which issues would appear.
In a temperate climate and running a factory cooler, the Barton 2600+ would idle in the late 40's C with max's in the low to mid 50's C (here in the UK) so you can see, in a warm country where the ambient are temp could be 10-15C higher, that could result in a max well into the 60's
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

I live in Central California where summer starts in March and ends in November...my 2400+ Tbred B and 2800+ Barton struggle keeping temps below 50°C. Gaming runs it up to 55° and toast.exe or prime95 give ~60°C after a few minutes.

Like Martin said, 65°C is a good spot to watch for problems. I keep a close watch on the Tbred 2400+ during the summer and pretty much ignore the 2800+ Barton.

I'm currently running the little copper cooler on the 2400+ Tbred and it does at least as well as the 80mm copper core cheapo I was running...~50°C at idle.

This is all running 1.99 thermal paste from Radio Shack. I'm out of AS5. AS folks are a 40 minute drive south from my house and I certainly have no excuse for being out of the stuff...I gotta buy some; can't mooch more after they suppoted me so well a few years ago.

Skip

Indeed....I remember these small scrived fine fin coolers generally performing very well by virtue of the fact that they posess more fins/larger cooling surface etc. However, they do block up with dust fairly easily for the very same reason and so do need blowing out regularly. For this reason we used to make a point of not fitting these to systems likely to left on for much of the time and that where unlikely to be routinely serviced.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back