Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asus Eee PC won't read my USBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GwydionM

Programmer
Oct 4, 2002
GB
I've just purchased an Asus Eee PC configured for Linux. The main initial use I planned for it was to take notes that I could transfer to my desktop PC, which uses Windown XP.

USB Flash Memory Disk seemed the easiest method, and the guide that came with the machine suggested there should be no problem. But when I plug in a USB Flash Memory Disk that I had previously used on the desktop, it said I had no permission to read it.

I took it back to the Desktop, tried to give myself permission to read my own disk. I could find no such option. I extended it as far as I could, this is not secure data, of no interest to anyone except myself. But it remained unreadable, and also (more relevenatly) I could not copy anything off of the Asus Eee PC.

Should I get a fresh USB - they are pretty cheap now? Or is there some simpler option I could use?

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

take the files off of it and format it in the Linux machine. then copy the files back on from the XP and see if the linux can read it.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Thanks, but I can't find any 'Format' option on the Asus Eee PC. I don't mind losing the files, I have nothing important there.

What do you think of the EEE? I am debating purchasing one.

dseaver: Please start a new Thread if you have a question that has nothing to do with this thread. make's it a lot easier to answer question and know which answer goes with what question.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I don't know Linux, but I'm guessing it can't use NTFS, but should have no problem with Fat32.

Reformat in Windows using FAT32 option and try again...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Linux has been able to read NTFS for many years. Within the last year or so, writing to NTFS has also become stable.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

amiak, I don't want the machine for anything fancy, just notes. I may try wireless stuff later, but only if there is a free supply, I will not invade someone else's.

I found a 'Format' option but it would not recognise the USB. They do have a warning about brands of USB to use and the ones I had were not on the list. I'll see what's on sale.

A wireless router may be used in order to transfer files between your Asus Eee and your main PC. Wireless routers can be pretty inexpensive these days... but so are thumb drives.

My point is, the machine is totally failing to do a routine thing like reading a USB.

The problem may be because it thinks the USB belongs to 'root'. Does anyone follow this?

No, I do not think so, but that is easy to find out... change to ROOT and then try to access the drive...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks for the reply. How do I change to 'root'? I am completely new to Linux.

The PC includes a 'format' option, but it refuses to see a USB.

If the PC can't see the USB your problem is with the USB. When you plug the USB into the pc it should give it a drive letter and you should be able to format that drive. Back up your data first!

The answer is "42"

Linux does not use drive letters. GwydionM should continue to listen to the advice he is receiving the the linux desktop forum.
They do have a warning about brands of USB to use and the ones I had were not on the list.
Until you are using an approved usb device, you are wasting your time.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

'" .. Thanks for the reply. How do I change to 'root'? I am completely new to Linux."

Open a console, then type su - , followed by the password assigned to root. After you've finished close the console down. Don't run normally as root.

You could also try type dmesg in at a console, after the stick has been plugged in + anything in there about your stick. You may have more luck posting the Linux section (under Desktop)

Thanks for the reply, MrJC. But how do I 'open a console'? Nothing like that on Settings.

I got a USB on the list and it is no better.

'" ..Thanks for the reply, MrJC. But how do I 'open a console'? Nothing like that on Settings."

Don't know which desktop environment you're running (poss KDE ?), but look for something like xterm or konsole.

Or try alt+f2, then type xterm in.

Fire that up and you'll have a dos like environment. Running su from here, with most distributions will give you root access. If you've got Ubuntu - then it's sudo.

You can navigate around here (be careful, you can do a bit of damage with root access) and see if you've got access to anything (tip it's also possible to run one of the file managers with root permissions too, if you'd like a more graphical take on things).

The dmesg thing was just to see if any error message was being raised from the usb stick, pop it in - open an xterm up (you'll need to be root possibly) and have a look at the output.

This seems to be more of a config issue with gnu/linux than hardware (permissions possibly), so as said it may be better to give the guys in the linux group a shout.

... or install windows XP on your Asus EEE. Xandros may not be the most productive environment for everyone.

This must be a cut-down version of Linux, no access to the real system. Alt-F2 was ignored. I don't have a spare XP and I'm not going to do anything dodgy

What I will be doing is complain to the vendor - mail order, but via Amazon so it should be reputable. Don't worry for now, unless you see something obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back