Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asian: How to get a job in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neltan

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
AU
Dear all,
I lived in Hong Kong. How can I get a job in US? What do I need?
Any examination, certification, or some reference letter I needed?
What channal and resource can I refer to on the Internet?

For a work visa, take a look at:

For becoming a citizen, see:

If you do a google, be careful of the information that you find -- a lot of it is out of date and wrong.

If you find a company who will sponsor your H-1B visa, be careful -- some of them will take advantage of you and put you in a bad work situation. Make sure you have enough cash for a plane ticket home in case things aren't what you were told.

Chip H.

I was thinking about this some more, and had a few additional ideas:

1) You might want to get in touch with a lawyer in the city where your job offer is from. Use the American Bar Association website to find one. You want one that specializes in employment law.

2) Have the lawyer review your employment contract before you sign it. This will cost you about $500-$800 USD, and will help you avoid an expensive mistake.

3) Ask the lawyer about the company's local reputation. Do they have problems paying their bills? Had a recent layoff? Can't seem to keep Executives? This will cost you another $100-$200, probably.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back