Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARS (Auto Set Relocation) POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhodges

Technical User
Mar 6, 2008
US
I am new to NT, but I am am familiar with the AVAYA TTI feature to move their phone sets. In 15 years I dont remember any corruption. I would like to conduct a POLL to see how many people use the NT ASR feature and what has been your experience. I have an Option 81 with 1500 users. I hope to get at least 50 responses. If the process is going to corrupt my PBX then surely we dont want to do that. Also for those of you that have already replied adamently on other forums, lets just sit back and see what type of response we get. Please refrain from any dialogue.
PUT SOMETHING LIKE - LOVE IT!!! HATE IT!!! IT IS THE PITTS!!! GRAND!!!!THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. Mary

Let the lunatics run the asylum? Don't go there!

jva

>****

I wouldn't want to have to work on a system where they allowed ASR to be used.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE ASR, Please let me know what is your preference, moves in software or moves on the backboard?

To me that depends on the circumstance. If someone is moving to a new location and it is cabled all the way back to an available TN then I'll move it in software. If it is not then I swing the cross connect.

For me, Cross Connect is the best way to move TDM.

It depends on the Location and if I'm just moving a phone to a new location or swapping phone's around. there is no set reason, which ever is right at the time.

I AM MOVING 30 PEOPLE AT THE SAME TIME.

Just finished moving about 100 people within the same building. Due to the mix of type of phones (digital and analog) I found it easier to move the cross connect on the MDF at the PBX. If it is a move where phone types are alike, I do it in the software.

Mary, just a point on typing. using all CAPS is impolite, it's concidered yelling.

If I was moving 30 people, I would probaly do it in the switch room on the MDF.

I have used auto set relocate several times, works great and never had a problem. NEVER do this on an ACD set, move the jumper. It can corrupt the system when done incorrectly so I do not let the users do this at all.

Place the first set in relocation mode. Go to the desk that phone is moving to and place that set in relocation mode then unplug it and plug in the set that is moving to that desk. Bam first set done.

Do this one set at a time and you will be fine. Most problems occur when all the people try to move sets at the same time and you plug into a TN that is not in relocation mode and that screws things up.

Done correctly this is a great tool. Incorrectly and it can be your worst nightmare. You can only swap like for like (digital to digital) (analog to analog).

A lot of people will tell you not to especially if they are on site and have to keep cable records becaus they no whave to spend time researching and fixing those records but I am in the field and have only had one site that actually kept those kinds of records.

Do your homework and everything will be fine.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

Hmm, TNPhoneman, assuming the TN in your name is abbv for Tennessee. Sounds like you've seen my records at Covenant.

Neil.

Nope never ben there. I have been to the other brother's location though 2x. Work out of Nashville.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

I avoid it. I prefer moves in Software if not too large, or via scripts. Depends on the situation and sometimes moving via the MDF is the cleanest.

When I worked on Avaya's we never used it. Always moved in software or at the MDF depending if we were onsite or not. I remember a site that had lots of strange issues and they (AVAYA) blamed it on the TTI feature.

When I made the move to Nortel I came across a site that used it all the time. It was a mess. I would recommend doing the moves in the switch if you are offsite and at the MDF if you are onsite. Much cleaner, no risk, and your records are easier to keep up with.

It might work great if just one personis doing it and knows what there doing, but letting the user do it is asking for trouble.

Quote:
NO BANTERING, NO BANTERING!!!!

What do you mean by this?

I find that you guys tend to get into disagreements. It is just a matter of opinion and preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back