Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARS (Auto Set Relocation) POLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhodges

Technical User
Mar 6, 2008
US
I am new to NT, but I am am familiar with the AVAYA TTI feature to move their phone sets. In 15 years I dont remember any corruption. I would like to conduct a POLL to see how many people use the NT ASR feature and what has been your experience. I have an Option 81 with 1500 users. I hope to get at least 50 responses. If the process is going to corrupt my PBX then surely we dont want to do that. Also for those of you that have already replied adamently on other forums, lets just sit back and see what type of response we get. Please refrain from any dialogue.
PUT SOMETHING LIKE - LOVE IT!!! HATE IT!!! IT IS THE PITTS!!! GRAND!!!!THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. Mary

I personally think ASR is for lazy techs....... Not that you will get corruption when using it, but why risk it?? It's just not a good idea.....

it's always been an arguement between the avaya and nortel. I liked it on the avaya, but the avaya is an extension based system while the nortel is a port based system.

I can punch down an analog port in all my cubicles and then go and program all my extensions. Then go to the desk, punch in my codes and plug the phone in. Never did that for the Nortel. I have been told that you are going to be able to do this based on a template, but I have never seen it done.

On the nortel, if you keep your frame clean, and by the way most of the people talk here, I can't see a lot of clustered MDFs, then swinging 30 jumpers should take no longer than 45 minutes and you can move those people at lunch.

John

Quote:
I find that you guys tend to get into disagreements. It is just a matter of opinion and preference.

You did ask for our opinions and they can't be answered with just a (Yes I like it) (No I don't like it) answer, it needs clarification and disagreements are what makes this such a great site, where not gust a bunch of YES MEN.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

not YES MEN, unless it's the wife talking to me...

Then is is Uh huh what ever you say dear.

or

You didn't tell me that! I'm a man not a mind reader!

Then duck.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

I don't like ASR or the move command. If you can move it on the MDF easily do it that way or out it and rebuild it on a new TN. 9 times out of 10 you can just do it on the MDF.

First let me say that it depends upon the situation and the platform.

ASR on a Norstar = Godsend.

ASR on a Meridian = God @*$&!

ASR on the Meridian, in my experience, is quite good when handled correctly and there are no miskeys when retrieving the phone to the new TN. This, in my experience, happens too seldom to make ASR more efficient, effective and reliable than moving phones in software or at the block.

Let me use your example. You're moving 30 phones. If you're using ASR it means that these folks are probably playing musical desks. You're on move #16 and manage to miskey the retrieval of the phone which leaves the phone "lost in programming". The phone is irretrievable so you must build it anew on the TN you've assigned for the jack it's moving to. Also, there's a better than even chance that the TN you tried to move the phone from is now unavailable because the ASR didn't complete. If #17 is going to where #16 came from then you'll have to move the connection for that jack to a new TN.

Additionally, from what I've seen, the lost phone remains in limbo until the next time the PBX is restarted.

Nope. I'm an ol' fuddy-duddy. I'll move it at the block or on the terminal thank you very much.

Regards,
Harry
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back