Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARRANGING PROGRAM ITEMS ALPHABETICALLY???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ssshaker

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2000
AU
Just a silly one but annoying! When Windows installed all progs are alphabetically correct then as I load more stuff, just adds on to the borrom. I usually rearrange all into my own folders so no probs but like a dog with a bone, I can't let this beat me. Can I get the Start/program menu to read alphabetically?

If you are using Windows 98, you should be able to right click on a menu item. A popup menu should come up with a menu item called "Sort by Name". That should sort them.

when i first installed win98, you couldnt do it, but after i updated win98(installing IE5, then going to windowsupdate.com) i was able to, so i think it is included in one of the service packs. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@bellsouth.net>kb244@bellsouth.net</a><br><a href= </a><br>

This is not silly just annoying.<br>
<br>
First backup your registry.<br>
<br>
Run REGEDIT<br>
<br>
Delete registry key<br>
<br>
HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder<br>
<br>
OR create an INF file with<br>
<br>
[Version]<br>
Signature=$CHICAGO$<br>
<br>
[DefaultInstall]<br>
DelReg=Restart.Reg<br>
<br>
[Restart.Reg]<br>
HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder<br>
<br>
<br>
-Gordon Yuen<br>
<br>

I alphabetize my program list manually by left clicking and holding the item I want to move, then dragging it(it turns into a black line) and dropping it where I want it. It's time-consuming and I have to say my abc's while I'm doing it, but at least it's readable when I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back