Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6.61 Advanced .....Exchange Agent (402) Exchange system error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryhelton

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2001
US
I receive E8602 Failed to read the database.
I also have installed sp2.
I still also get empty folder when you go to session restore even though the backup is successfull.
I find this interesting, a automated backup will not let me restore but a manual backup will. ??? Any sugestions
Arc serve help desk is useless.
Jerry
IT Administrator

What does the rest of the error message say following the E8602 Failed to read the database?

One of the entire message reads like this for example.

E8602 Failed to read from the database. (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\Turner, Tim\Sent Item,EC=EXCH Exchange Agent --(402)"Exchange system error".)

The folders in the mailboxes do exist and work fine for the end users. I take that this message is saying the folder with in the mailbox does not exist.
ArcServe still does not respond to email messages or phone calls.

The problem turned out to be Corporate Edition of Norton Anti-virus. We turned off the Vapi scanning and all is fine. It appears that every time the email is accessed in any way with the Vapi function on it rescans it and the backup times out waiting on a scan depending on how big the attachment is. It also sped up the email since it only has to scan it the one time on delivery and not everytime it is opened. Hope this helps any body else. No thanks to Arc Serve who still has not responded.
Jerry Helton

I have the same problem on a Exchange 5.5 SP4 server with GroupShield v 4.5 and ArcServe 6.61 on it. My question is how to turn of the Vapi scanning (edit reg key ?) and what effect does this have on the GroupShield software, I mean is it still working like it is supposed to ?

I have the same problem in my Arcserve backup system, but my Anti-virus is the GroupShield McAfee. Does somebody know how to stop this service while doing a backup session? Is there another solution?

thanks

Hi, have you tried switching the service off using a pre batch file and switching it back on using a post batch file (set up in backup options).
Hope this helps.

I had EXACTLY the same problem, with Exchange 55 SP4 + NAV 7.5 Corp. + Exchange agent 2.0 + AS 6.61, with all the latest SP's.

I switched the NAV Exchange engine to MAPI only, from the default setting: MAPI/VAPI. Under the "Auto Protect" options page, on the web management console and I now get 100% solid Exchange mailbox backups.

Thanks for all the posts.

Bertrand R.
brettich@voyus.com

My solution to this it to not have an antivirus software on the server itself, but on another machine set to scan the server very frequently. The virus scan (Command) is loaded on all machines connected to the server. The server only gets information locally -- it isn't hooked to the internet at all. We have a separate Linux proxy server workstation that handles all our email with a firewall between it and the server.

E8602 Failed to read from the database. (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\Turner, Tim\Sent Item,EC=EXCH Exchange Agent --402)"Exchange system error".)
Ok lets begin. 402 normally means the mailbox that you are trying to restore is either not there or hidden. Also if the mailbox has been deleted and recreated then make sure the box has been created with the same case [exchange is case sensative] and has had mail sent to it to initalize it. If you cant remember the name of the mailbox then look at the agent log and this will tell you the name it wants to restore to.

EvilOptic
Mailboxes are not hidden and they are there.
The system simply times out when Vapi scanning is turned on because it wants to scan each and every attachment everytime it is accessed instead of once when it arrives.
I have verified this and others confirm the same problem.
Try moving an entire folder with in exchange to a pst file or another folder within exchange with vapi on. I will constanstly error and only move a few at a time.
Arc serve needs to address this problem but they won't even return calls or respond to email. Why because they don't even know why is the only reason I can come up with. Every time I have tried to use their Tech dept. they can't help at all, useless. Thanks for the info back anyway.

Ahhh as in the VAPI AV support they have in the ARCserve2000 Exchange2000 7.0 Agent eh. This product is GA as far as i know and Sales can supply you with it

We tried the Arcserve 2000 and could not get brick level backups nor any help from Arcserve as to why. So we went back to the previous version which is working flawlessly now that we have worked out the bugs ourselves. Thanks.

Great someone else has found a conflict between the latest Anti Virus programs and Exchange Brick Level backup.

I have found a workaround thatis documented in Microsoft Article ID: Q264731 (XADM: MAPI-Based Tasks Do Not Work with Virus API Anti-Virus Software Running on the Exchange Server Computer).

This suggests changing two registry settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan

BackgroundScanning - change 0 to 1

OpenRetryDelay - change to 5000 (my system had 2)

Restart the server and wait for system to complete a background scan (Microsoft suggest to allow one hour for each HB of attachments).

I do not know what implication this may have on anti-virus software (GroupShield) and how to schedule my weekly virus updates.

I am currently testing the above workaround in a test environment!

I have the same problem listed above only I don't have AV running on the server. NT4.0 SP6a,Exch 5.5 SP3, Arc 6.61 SP1 plus post fixes Enterprise Ed.

E8602 Failed to read from the database. (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\Bob, Bob\Sent Item,EC=EXCH Exchange Agent --402)"Exchange system error".)

I've tried all the suggestions above, all great ideas but none of them worked for me.
Help!!!

Lewdog,

We also put a 45000 K limit on our mailboxes.
If we alow the boxes to get too large, we get the same message. Go to Bob, Bob\Sent box and delete or remove the attachments from them. This has been a problem for some time.
Good luck.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I have been having this problem for a while and I have had no responses from CA.

Disabling my AV (Groupsheild 4.5.572.128)worked and I think I will look for a new AV.

Thanks All.

Jerry,

Make sure you have a good copy of your priv.edb and pub.edb. I ran into the same problem you did a few years back. I agreed arcserv tech support is bad.. doesn't compare to this forum.

re: ArcServe VAPI etc. I upgraded my Norton Antivirus this weekend to 2.14. Due it issues with Dr. Watson errors, I was forced to use VAPI. (Have to go to 2.17 (just released to resolve).

My bricklevel backup via arcserve is having this exact problem.

I should have checked here first before checking ArcServe's website . There is NOTHING on their web site about this or even a description of EC=402.

thank you for the solution!!!

Same problem here after upgrading to ArcServer 2000. I can't get a full brick level backup, so I have been backing up the priv, pub and dir files every night. ArcServe's tech support is the pits, but this forum looks like it has some good ideas. Will let you know what works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back