Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6.61 Advanced .....Exchange Agent (402) Exchange system error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryhelton

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2001
US
I receive E8602 Failed to read the database.
I also have installed sp2.
I still also get empty folder when you go to session restore even though the backup is successfull.
I find this interesting, a automated backup will not let me restore but a manual backup will. ??? Any sugestions
Arc serve help desk is useless.
Jerry
IT Administrator

ArcServe released a patch a week or so ago that fixed my brick level backup problem. I was getting a 69 error code though. Still having a few other issues though. I am definitely questioning the decision to upgrade to AC 2000.

random mailboxes do not backup on brick level backup. Mcafee TVD is running (groupshield)
Application memory error occurs.

any idea's

ray.plunkett@ireland.com

Ray Plunkett. your always going to get problems with VAPI/API antivirus on exchange running whilst trying to back it up. Try a backup with it off and see how it goes...

ItsA (visitor).... ARCserve 2000 is a good product. Granted it has its flaws though. Let me know all the issues your getting and let me know. I will try my best to answer them or at least steer you in the right direction.

guru

ArcServe guru: I don't think it's reasonable to shut down antivirus software in order to get a backup. This would mean I would have to shut down my internet e-mail connector too. In a perfect world, I should be able to run VAPI and also use ARcServe brick level backup.

There are work arounds, as per the Microsoft Technet article mentioned above.

It is not a problem with ARCserve, it is the only way ARCserve (using MAPI) can access the Exchange database bricklevel.

For exchange 2000 you can use VI, and then back it up through the file structure individual brick-level, and this should be fine since it isn't using MAPI, but..... I think only enterprise backup has the functionality.

Don't be hostile towards ARCserve, its not their fault. Veritas should have the same problem.

guru.

I have a similar problem to this. I am using NT4 with Exchange 5.5sp3. When I run the brick level backup, I get E8602 Failed to read from database EC=Backup agent error (358) Faile to open a refence file of message or attachment body. The job hangs, and I have to kill ASRUNJOB.exe to recover. I'm guessing that NetShield NT has moved a viral attachment and ArcserveIT is trying to find it.
These attachments are in the person's deleted items folder, they just haven't been cleaned out yet. I don't mind skipping over these files and continuing as a workaround, but I don't see an option for this. Is there a registry setting for this anywhere? Thanks.

Is there anyway you can setup a pre script to empty the deleted items folder.

Empty the folder before the backup, it should proceed without a problem. You may want to consider also changing the antivirus settings on "what to do" with infected attachments.

Let me know what yo ugo with, it's quite interesting.

g

I hesitate to delete users' deleted items folders. Some use it for "just in case" and then clean it out occasionally.
I read in the release notes that ArcServeIT has a temporary storage directory that it uses to backup attachments >2MB. This directory is specified with a DetachedDir registry key. I have removed this directory from the "On access scanning" list in NetShield (although I do like the fact that it is catching viruses there). We'll see if that keeps everything happy.

I am receiving the same error (E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=Individual Mailboxes\<username>\Inbox, EC=EXCH Exchange Agent -- (402) &quot;Exchange system error&quot;.)) I run NT 4 SP 6a, Exchg 5.5 SP3, ARCserve 2000 SP3, NAV CE 7.6. Only one inbox out of about 100 mailboxes is getting this error, and it's only the inbox. I've set NAVMSE to MAPI only, but it doesn't help. From reading the thread, it's looking like a timing conflict with ARCserve and NAV. Does anyone know how to set ARCserve's timeout to be longer? As I keep seeing and have found out myself, CA is no help on this one.

TIA for any and all help.

Our issue seemed to resolve on it's own--after the user did a major cleanup of the inbox which had contained many attachments. Just putting out there as an FYI.

I am having a problem scheduling backups with ARCserve 6 on a Windows NT 4.0 SP3 server running Exchange 5.5 and Norton Group Shield 4.5. When ever I try to schedule a back to be performed later in the evening it will run a exactly a week later. I can perform the backup immediately without a problem. I have checked the OS clock and the CMOS clock and both are correct. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the same issue. One question - what is the norm?? Do most people do a bricklevel backup or do they have a backup server? I am running Exch 5.5 Ent. w/ McAfee groupshield.

I had the same problem running Arserve 2000, when you install the backup agent for exchange you must install it by logging on as the service account and then install the agent. This stops the (402)Exchange system error. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back