Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Appending from Comma Delimited file into MEMO field

Status
Not open for further replies.

csr

Programmer
Jul 20, 2000
I am appending data from a comma delimited file and everything works fine except for the fact that one of the fields contains more than 254 characters (the limit for a text field). So, I tried changing the field in the target file to a memo field. Now, nothing comes in to that field.
Is that as it should be (by design) or could I be doing some thing wrong here ?

Don

From the help file on APPEND FROM
You cannot append to memo fields from text files such as CSV and SDF files.

You might be able to parse it using
Code:
Alines(FileToStr(myfile.txt))

or you may have to resort to using low-level file functions

pamela

Tamar: Thanks for the confirmation of bad news. [dazed]

TheRambler: I read the article. Tried the software. It is flawed. It does not respect the field delimiters (commas)and processes commas within quotes as field delimiters. I will take a look at it to see if I can discern why it does that but it is somewhat complicated and I may not be able to figure it out.

Don

Don here again ...

I mis-spoke on my previous post. I should have said ... It does not respect the STRING DELIMITERS. It processes commas imbedded within a STRING as field delimiters.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back