Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

App Server Samba (smbd) will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgrossman

Technical User
May 31, 2011
US
This is the second time I have run into this issue with the default server edition iso,so I figured I would see if anyone knows how to fix this.

We have loaded the server edition iso as a virtual server (irrelevant) version 10.1 in this case. The first time I had this issue was version 10.0.4. I follow the Xima instructions to setup the samba share from the app server so that the recording library on a Windows machine can pull the files from the VRL. Everything works up until the point where I need to start or stop the samba (smb/smbd) service. It will not start in this case. I know this is more of a Linux issue than Avaya, but since this is Avaya's CentOS load, it technically is an Avaya issue.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a resolution?

I haven't tried to use samba on an aps server so have not seen this issue
however I would start by checking the syslog records to see if samba has anything to say about why it is failing
I do know that samba can be tricky to configure at times.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Same here. Im on 9.1.11 build 202. App server on VMWare. I cannot stop Samba.

Call Xima, they should know this.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

This problem first came up when I was on a support call with Xima. According to them, "this is a Linux issue and we need to resolve it prior to calling for further support". You would think the highest tier of Xima partner would receive slightly better support.

In the beginning of the appserver i made this little manual for enabling the recordings but somehow Avaya changed this and it doesn't seem to work anymore.
And because my company does not use the Avaya SE anymore i cannot tell you how it works now.
I believe there are more options now within Xima Chronicall so it should be possible.
In my case i had a separate windows server running Xima but you can install Xima straight on the appsserver and just let it look in to the recodings folder.

BAZINGA!

What happens when you do "service smb start" ?

Check in /var/log for errors if it doesn't start.

You should be able to find plenty of information regarding smb issue on linux and CentOS by Googling if you see what error you get.

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Currently having the exact same issue. XIMA wanted us to use VRTX but they're not supported in the Customers Virtual environment with Server Edition. Trying to setup the Samba share like I've done plenty of times before, but now with R10.0.5 I'm just getting "Failed" when try to start/stop the SMB or NMB service. No idea whats going on with this.

For janni78, the only thing that I get in the logs when I attempt to start the service is "error opening config file".

What rights are set for that file?

BAZINGA!

So do you have a /etc/samba/smb.conf ?

Yes, my Secondary Server with the default smb.conf file started no problem, so I'm assuming something is wrong with the file from Xima. I ended up using the SFTP server option to send recordings over to the Windows Xima server instead of Samba sharing. Working great so far!

I have adjusted the permissions for everything under /etc/samba to 777 via Chmod.

Here is the smb.conf file contents

[root@Voicemail ~]# less /etc/samba/smb.conf
security = SHARE
passdb backend = tdbsam
# username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
# idmap config * : backend = tdb
hosts allow = 127., 10., 192.168., 172.
cups options = raw

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes

[VRL]# any name you like
path = /opt/vmpro/VRL
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
create mode = 0777
directory mode = 0777
share modes = yes
/etc/samba/smb.conf (END)

Nice, but you really shouldn't change permissions to 777 on all files just because.
There is usually a reason why they have the permissions they have.
777 also makes all files executable (by anyone) which isn't intended.

Like mentioned above use the SFTP. This was not available in the beginning thus the samba share.
This is not needed anymore!
This was a workaround and probably never removed by Xima on there support page.

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back