Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any recommendations to pass the A+? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

raul123

Technical User
Apr 26, 2007
I need some help here guys..
What you guys think of preplogic videos by mike meyers? i've been trying to pass the A+ im not in the industry but i want to become part or it. last year i pass the core part and i fail os part. so i guess i need to start over again. but i dont have enogh $$ to a school so i was thinkig of the preplogic video training by mike meyers or CBT direct, what do you guys recommend me? or another way you guys know it would help me better than that? i have been thinking on what should i get but i need opinions from the pros..
thanks..

Mike Myers is excellent---I have his A+ book, I think 5th edition. Got it on Ebay for like $15

Burt

How many exams are required to get the A+ certification?
I currently began studying for it. I bought "CompTIA' A+ Fast Pass by SYBEX. Any comments on that book?

I myself would be wary of anything called "fast pass", but Sybex is an EXCELLENT source for study material (Cisco, anyway), so I would say thumbs up on it.
There are 2 exams to pass for A+---one about hardware (SCSI, processors, RAM, IRC's, etc.) and one that is general OS knowledge (when I passed mine a few years ago, they had a lot of questions on Windows 98, and even a few on 95!!!).

Burt

That was the 2003 exam now the 2006 is a 2 part exam as well but the first part is known as the "essentials" and the second part can be chosen from 3 different tests.

How Many Questions on each? Are the questions "senariors"(you know a whole page of a question) I just bought another book that only has over 400 Q & A (By thompson technology). My plan is to read the exam book cover to cover and then two weeks before the exam just memorize the questions and answers. What im wondering is if these are going to be the same questions or similar? And after the "essentials" I could pick either IT Technician, Remote Technician or Depot Technician. Would it be a good idea to take both tests back to back the same day?

Carlos82,

You said - " then two weeks before the exam just memorize the questions and answers"

DO NOT memorize questions - UNDERSTAND concepts, understand the question and why the answer is what it is based on a good understanding of the subject matter!

If the question is just a little different then you will not be thrown for a loop because you MEMORIZED questions and answers!!

I have seen soooo many students try this and they normally fail because the question is a little different and they do not understand the concept behind the question.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I second what CiscoGuy33 says---know the concepts. I thought the questions and answers were pretty straight-forward---no ambiguousness (right word??? I Googled ambiguitiy...ha ha). Passing the A+ was easy for me, just reading the Mike Myers book---I had repaired pc's for a while for friends, and building/rebuilding my own. If by chance you were to fail the first time, I would bet the farm you'd pass the second time, anyway. If you want to be a true value to people, they normally key in on positive experience over certs. I realize that to the layman, credentials are possibly important (I.E. certs), but everyone I know (a lot of doctors and lawyers---believe me---they have post-it notes everywhere to remind them how to turn the computer on and off!!!) would rather have an experienced tech than a greenie with a bunch of certs.

Burt

I took the A+ Essentials and IT Technician test last week and passed. I got the A+ for dummies book for the 2007 test. I studied the book for a week and found the test to be pretty simple.

jeff moss

I have studied Mike Meyers' book for two months, I have memorized the things he says to memorize like the IRQs and laser printer process. I read everything I can get my hands on about core PC components, and I research the Microsoft Knowledge base like its my religion, still a i am nervous about taking the test. Even with having studied the objectives I obtained from the comp tia web site, I want to be sure about my abilities before I commit.What should I gauge myself with?

The key to any of these tests is to be calm and relaxed, read the questions through thoroughly before answering. Of course, that's advice I always have a hard time following since my heart is racing a mile a minute like the guillotine is waiting for me if I fail. But I try to remain calm. :)

My company paid for my cert and the course to go with so I said what the heck and did it. I figured there would be more for me to learn in the class but not so much. It was taught very well and would have been an excellent crash course for a newbie. I felt kind of cheated that things that took me years to pick up as a hobbyist were laid on the table so neatly for the n00bs. Then again, as n00bs I don't know what their information retention was like.

The tests, on the other hand, I did not like so much. I did a lot of extra studying because everyone said that we had to memorize a bunch of stupid pointless crap. However, that sort of thing didn't appear on the test. There's a new version of A+ rolling out so that may change.

What I've found to be the most helpful thing to do with ANY of these tests is to just get the best version of the practice exams that are out there. Screw what's included in the books, find the stuff that's guaranteed to be just like on the test. I heard Testking has been compromised so their new stuff is bogus but the old stuff is good. Do those test questions. What you get wrong, go back to the book and read up on it. Then go back to the test and drill again. You want to get down core concepts but some of these questions are just dumb and you need to put down the answer they want, not the answer that makes logical sense.

From what I've seen, the books contain what you really need to know to do your job but they don't really prepare you for passing the test which is an artificial exercise in hoop-jumping that isn't closely related to what you're actually doing in the real world. Ditto for what was said above -- if you just memorize the questions and answers but don't know the concepts, you're cheating yourself. You'll pass the test but choke on the job.

I've used books and CBTs for various IT exams, and I've always like to use a combination of both. Books are great for some concepts, CBTs are better for more complex topics and seeing how it all works together or ties in.

I've used a few different CBTs, and I personally like Palaestra Training's CBTs the best ( They are well done and easy to listen to.

For books, Mike Myers is great as mentioned above.. Not my favorite videos by far, but the books are always great.

Bottom line, it boils down to what type of learner you are.. some people like books over CBTs, some CBTs over classroom, others can pull all the info they need from the internet and some spare equipment.

You know yourself better than anyone, so if you're a visual learner, don't try to cram from a book. If you're a hands on type, don't sit and watch a CBT.. you get the idea.

-Greasemonkey

I just today passed the A+ essentials and 220-602.

I paid $2500 for a certification course at a respected training institute for some 2 books, some lab time, and hours of video lectures.

I then purchased the Exam Cram 2 A+ book for $45.

The Exam Cram book provided more in depth information and should be all anybody needs to pass the A+ exam.

Tuckejam,

$2,500 WOW !!!!! that is where your local Community College or Jr. College or even Adult Education Centers can be a real blessing as well as a HUGE bargin :)

We have an A+ Cert class for about $200 with an instructor for about 3-4 hours each week for 15 weeks (45 contact hours) student gets a computer and parts to practice on almost anytime they need to as well as the different OS's to install.

Since we are a Microsoft Academic Alliance member (not all schools are) students in these classes can checkout the different OS's to install at home.

We have students that get an older computer off eBay or a bare-bones special at one of the onlone sellers and they get all the practice they need as well as a decent computer with OS!

Just a thought for those out there who have to pay their own way - since many companies are not paying out the big bucks for training anymore!

E.A. Broda

CiscoGuy33

you said ''We have an A+ cert class for about $200'' who is we? are you meaning a community college?

i went to New Horizons i was told that they were the place to go by many people, and i think that they would be an excellent place for some of the more advanced certifications but i definitely feel ripped off with the A+, mostly cause i already knew it all but didn't realize that until after the course.

If We Knew What We Were Doing It wouldnt Be Called Research

Tuckejam,

Yes, I work and teach at a community college!

I have no trouble with New Horizons or the others but for $2,500 I could buy a few computers, books, CBT Nuggets and still have a bunch of $$$$ left over!

If your company is paying for it - go for it :) if you are paying hmmmmmmmm that is a LOT of money!

For A+ or Net + ----- that is a lot of money!!!!! For CCNP or CCSP or a CCIE prep class I might better understand.

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda

tstclogowtxsm.jpg

ITSC 1371 A+

This course prepares individuals for a career as a computer service technician. In addition, this course will prepare the students for the CompTIA A+ Essentials and IT Technician certification exams.

$275.50

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,DHTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,RFID+,CETma,CSS,CFOS/T,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

I would never recommend paying for a class for a CompTIA exam. The CompTIA exams are just an overview/general introduction to a specific technology, and since most classes cost $2000+ at IT training centers it's way overkill. Buy yourself a couple of prep books that include practice tests and go to town. If you can set aside the week for an A+ class then you can set aside a week to read and take practice tests (which is a lost more cost-effective).

Now, if you wanted to get an advanced cert like Cisco's or the more advanced exams on the MCSE/MCSA track, I'd say take a class if your company will pay for it.

As far as companies that provide "the actual exam questions that are on the test", avoid them. The only way to obtain the exam questions that are on the exam are to steal them from a training center (illegal) or to take the test and somehow record them (a violation of the test terms). Any company that is willing to do that obviously isn't very concerned about ethics, which means they'd be just as happy to screw you over as they are CompTIA/Microsoft/CISCO.

Furthermore, if you get the actual exam questions that are on the test, you may pass the exam but you won't learn anything other than how to memorize and you'll be pretty useless once you get that job. There are boot camps out there that are basically two-week cram sessions for the MCSE.

A co-worker of mine registered for one such MCSE "class" thinking it was an actual class where they teach you things. Instead, he was the lone Exchange engineer in a room full of short-order cooks and high school/college students (literally), and all the "instructor" did was explain how to best memorize test questions and administer the tests. By the end of the two weeks everyone had passed, but nobody had learned anything. These people are what are known in the industry as "paper MCSEs", in that they have a slip a paper that says they passed the test but they're absolutely useless in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back