Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti Virus on Exchange Servers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

support66

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2003
EU
Hello people. I did search on 5.5 forum, did not see any posts about Anti virus on Exchange Servers.
Well I would like to ask you if you are using Anti Virus software for your Exchange Servers, which one you are using and if you are happy with that software you are using and why.
Thanks a lot.

I'm using Trend Scanmail for Exchange. Used to use InoculateIT, but had problems with the realtime scanner. Scanmail works well, updates automatically without any intervention and can be checked remotely through a browser.

Additionally all of our email is passed through MessageLabs.

David

Well Guys...I have use F-Secure for MS Exchange over 3 Years now. I got this appl from its primary stage and in its latest version it is very damn good although has still some problems on user interface. It is real hard to get it understand and work with it and lots of things of this app leaves you with a question mark..but it is real good on response with new worms and viruses since F-Secure does Virus Definitions Updates sometime three times a day.
Recently I have put on test Sybari's Antigen 7.0 on staging and find out that if you manage to understand the philosophy which of course is not written down on docs..it is a very good and intelligent tool for Mail protection as well as spam porection.
So...I put 7 to 10 as a score to F-Secure so far and when I finish with sybari's I will tell you the conclusion differences between them.

Thanks for reply.

What is the score you will put to your apps for mail protection?

I use Norton and I've had it years and its great. Also use Norton on the desktop with email scanning there too. It updates regularly, has good reporting features and can be checked through a browser.

I'd give it 9/10 on principle that its not cheap.

I use scanmail for Exhange by Trend Micro. Have used it for three years and have never once had a single virus get through. It is easy to install, use and maintain. I have tried others this is the best.

I wouldn't recommend the combination of Network Associates NetShield 4.5 and GroupShield 5.0. After installing this combination, my worst nightmare is happening. These products slow down the servers and hog most of the processing power but that's not the real problem. The real problem is that the information stores on the Exchange servers have been crashing and hanging (and that's after years of running flawlessly without the virus scan products). After many attempts of trying various things, I'm still working with Network Associates to resolve the problems. If you do decide to implement these two items, be prepared for many painful hours of fixing bugs and problems.

To Beckas.
Dear friend I have seen this kind of behavior in early versions of F-Secure...which would piggy backing over the store.exe and consumed all the resources until the server was melting out of resources. This kind of situation was over now...F-Secure release the memory resources over 15 minutes period thus I do not have these kind of crashes. My experience is that companies and resellers hide these facts with care and when report to them with facts of your troubles they seem to be surprised...but this is over now as well...they do not play the fool when I say to them that their software will be send back...
Anyway this ages is over but I wanted to say these words as well since never talk about so specific things with others.

I'm using McAfee Outbreak manager 4.6.188 and it seems to be running fine (though Arcserve doesn't play well with others). It seems to catch viruses and reports/cleans them well. Our Exchange servers just went into production (W2k Server, Exch 5.5) and the priv.edb file is less than 2 gig.

scott
exchngnewguy

Well guys. I currently evaluate Sybari's software for Exchange 5.5 on NT Server 4.0 SP6. In few days I will write the prons and cons of this software to you.

We use Antigen from Sybari and to make it short.
Never had a problem, never had an email based virus since it went into production (more then 2 years ago)

We also run Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 SP6a.

Another importend part is how it runs in production, and here Antigen is also great.

At the moment we use 5 scan engines in Antigen (make sure to get at least Sophos and CA Vet)

Dear johnny99..
So far I got no problem with Antigen. The 2 things I encountered they being solved with immediate response by Sybari UK dept. I stressing Sybari with mailstorm by sending to a client thousands of emails with multiple attachments virus contained. So far one of them pass through the cleint (expoit.iframe.filedownload) and this was due to my configuration and not Antigen problem. In general looks good and very easy to understnad and configure.

We use GroupShield 4.5 with Exchange 5.5 SP4. On that NT4 server, Netshield 4.5 is installed as well and we don't have any issues with the information stores like beckas mentioned on april 7th.

We need to upgrade to Groupshield 5 soon because our current version isn't supported anymore by NAI.

Hello guys.
Just finish my evaluation with Sybari Antigen 7.0. I will publish my comments in few days time.

Riwa - A suggestion, when you remove GroupShield 4.5 and install GroupShield 5.0, make sure to apply the latest GroupShield 5.0 service pack. If you do not, you will more than likely have problems reading some of the Exchange events in the Application Event Viewer (it's a symptom of removing GroupShield 4.5 and installing 5.0).

FYI, the tech I'm working with to resolve the IS "freezing" problem thinks that the problem is NetShield related so you might not see the problem when you upgrade your GroupShield version. I wish I was that lucky....

I have only seen a problem with Antigen one time in our installation at that was that it wouldn't allow a user sending an email that had a 170 MB attached PowerPoint file.
It stopped it because it suspected that the file could contain a virus. I think is is basicly a safeguard in the product.
Can't blame Antigen for this.

You should also look at Antigen 7.5 RC1
It has some nice antispam features.

Thanks Johnny99. I have already being told about 7.5RC1 but I will pass on some other tests. I propably test Clearswift's products when I want content and spam filtering

I use Norton AV for Exchange, and NAV Corp. Ed. on the desktops. I set live update to its quickest interval and haven't had a virus for 2 yrs (knock wood).

In my past job we used Antigen by Sybari and never had aproblem with viruses or the product itself.

I would definately recommend it.

I installed NAV for exchange and NAV Corp ed for the OS, (both installed on the same server) The way I look at is that if nortons for exchange doesnt pick it up the other will and this has happened with the sobigA virus. For some reason the exchange NAV didnt stop it but the NAV Corp ed for the OS did. On the network I used to work with we did the same thing. Both networks I've never had a virus go past our exchange server and reach our LAN. I also have NAV installed on all the LAN pc's. So I highly recommend NAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back