Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti Virus on Exchange Servers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

support66

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2003
EU
Hello people. I did search on 5.5 forum, did not see any posts about Anti virus on Exchange Servers.
Well I would like to ask you if you are using Anti Virus software for your Exchange Servers, which one you are using and if you are happy with that software you are using and why.
Thanks a lot.

Hi All,

I have used Trend Scanmail at previous site and NAV for Exchange at present. I would recommend either as I have never had any problems and never got infected.

My policy on AV measures is to use as many layers as practicable and to use different scanner at each layer if possible.

I use MessageLabs service for all external mail, which provide us protection before the message even reaches our system. It is not expensive and provide a very good service. They have five AV engines including their own.

I then have GFI's mail essentials as a gateway, which scans with their own AV engine, followed by NAV on Exchange. We also have NAV on the clients which scans Outlook.

This gives us multiple layers of protection and should protect us against most attacked.

The other method is to block executable and script attachements at the gateway (GFI MEss), which stops many viruses dead.

Hope this all helps

Hello Guys..it is me again. From my latest stressing tests from Sybari Antigen 7.0 + hotfixes I found that Internet Protection (SMTP mail)works better that the Real time protection (for the internal network, MAPI). The second is performing very bad.
More to follow.

Beckas,

Could you let me know how you make out with Netshield 4.5 and Groupshield 5.0, as far as what is causing the hanging IS? I ask as we are currently running Netshield and Groupshield 4.5 on our Exch55 SP4 servers and are soon to upgrade to Groupshield 5.0.

Thanks!

Beckas, I would like to know which servers slowed down and would like to hear more detail. Thanks,

Hello guys. My evaluation with Sybari's Antigen has finished. I evaluated Antigen 7.0, Antigen 7.0 plus hotfix that UK guys told me to download to solve a proble with manual scanings, and finally Antigen 7.5 with Spam Manager.
The results are not good since I use MailStorm, MailTest to stress a lot the Sybari's product. I had a Exchange Server guru guy with me that made Exchange 5.5 SP4 to fly...by doing special tuning. But when I used Sybaris products the performance was too low in incoming mails, compared when there were Antigen services shut down and the performance of the Exchange server was too high.
Still wait the UK Sybari to answer to my questions why there is too low performance...especially when I used MAPI to send mass mail with MailTest.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was out on vacation last week.

Goverm - I think that the IS freezing problem started after we upgraded from GroupShield 4.5 to GroupShield 5.0 but I'm not 100% sure. I am still working with Network Associates to resolve the problem and due to the fact that my company is so political, downing the Exchange servers each time is a long process so it will be a while before I know what the fix is. Here is a link to one of my postings that goes into more detail on the problem. thread38-523800
I'll be sure to post when the problem is resolved.

Dgravett - The e-mail servers that I manage are Exchange 5.5 SP4 (with several additional Exchange hotfixes applied) and the OS is NT 4.0 SP6A. Please see the above link for more details. Let me know if this does not answer your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back