Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to analogue terminal adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo2015

Technical User
Nov 9, 2013
GB
Hi,

I have a customer which currently has anlogue ports on their phone system which are used for various faxes and modems. There fax numbers are curently ddi's on an ISDN30 and they are moving office and would like to use SIP.

They do not want to go down the fax to email route for various reasons. We were going to use either the Cisco SPA112 VoIP/SIP ATA/Telephone Adapter or a Patton ATA but have heard horror stories of using ATA's for fax.

Please could someone let me know if it is possible to use their existing analogue ports with SIP numbers and connect the faxes tp the analogue ports as in their previous set up or is this not possible on SIP lines?

Also if an ATA is the only option which one of the above is supported with Avaya i.e Patton or Cisco?

TIA,

We use both ATA's for faxes and we have no horror stories to tell.
Both are of the "set and forget" type and never need to be visited again unless the IP Address of the IP Office changes.

It's the modems that are likely to suffer most, may be unusable if they work at mid-high baud rates and you'll need a pretty decent connection for the SIP to run on, the lower delay the better, then faxes stand a good chance :)

Ok thanks for the help here. Please could someone let me know if it is possible to use their existing analogue ports on the IP Office with the new sip lines in the same way they were used with the ISDN ddi's?

ATAs work just fine for FAX. I also use them for overhead paging as well as door boxes. And they are cheap. All you need is an third party endpoint license per trunk. Using SIP and an analog extension port wold work fine for incoming. Outgoing ... could pose issues. Depends on the SIP provider.

Jimbo2015 said:
Ok thanks for the help here. Please could someone let me know if it is possible to use their existing analogue ports on the IP Office with the new sip lines in the same way they were used with the ISDN ddi's?

Current analog station ports will work just fine in this situation - or as fine as an ATA would.

sorry for the quick hijack...

pmcook - when you use them for paging, are you able to make them be part of a group page to page over phones and speakers? i didn't think this was possible because of it acting like and analog handset. if there is a brand or part number I would appreciate it as we are starting to more IP only systems and constantly having to add a phone two just for this.

I am using a MFD fax plugged into the analogue ports on an IPO 500 v1 R8.1 connected to SIP trunks. This isn't recommended due to the protocols involved but it seems to work but we don't send or receive more than a fax a month.

what brand atas do you guys use?

Isaac Braca
Avaya ACA - IP Office
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.

ICCS, Your Premier IT & Telecom Partner, is a New York City Based Avaya SMB Expert Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

Visit and Post on my Blog:

We use both the Patton and Cisco, it depends which one is the cheapest to get at the time of buying.

Can the Pattons be poe powered opposite to the Ciscos?

I think the Patton's are PoE.

I just recommended them for a site with 5 of them and our purchaser had a hard time sourcing them. So I am not sure how popular they are.
I remember the setup is just like the Cisco, set and forget, and never go back to it.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back