Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

alternative for getdirectory() in VFP 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYN

Programmer
Nov 2, 2000
NL
I'm looking for source-code for a browse- or alternative getdirectory function.

The currect getdirectory function has a win 3.1 look and I would like to show it in my own language with, for example, parameters for the command buttons etc.

Can anyone help me?

I like the freebie MSCommonDialogue control. Have you tried it? John Durbin
john@eps-software.com
MCP Visual FoxPro
ICQ VFP ActiveList #73897253

Hi Syn,

I'll back Rick on this one. I've also found Bela's products to be top-notch and wouldnt hesitate to recommend any of them. As Rick said, it's only $10 USD to register. Or you can obtain his FolderTree control for $20 and it extends functionality far beyond the GetDir control.

John,

My first instinct was to recommend the MSCommDialog as well, but IIRC, it's only useful for returning fully qualified pathes to files, not folders.

Jim,

MSCommDialog is an ActiveX that is included with Visual Studio. Go to Tools>Options and on the Controls tab, select ActiveX controls. Look for MS Common Dialog Control in the list. Jon Hawkins

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

Jon JUSTPATH(MyFullyQualifiedFilePath) ?? John Durbin
john@eps-software.com
MCP Visual FoxPro

LOL

Seems kinda hokey to ask the user to select a "file", when what you are really after is the folder. For Instance, a "Change StartUp Directory" command button that subsequently presents the user with a "Select File" dialog box.

What happens if the folder is empty? (My end-users would go into a frenzy) Jon Hawkins

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

GetDirectoy() is bad though. For instance getting to the desktop is stupid in GetDir(). It's interface dates back to FPD, FPW 2.6 and Win 3.11 doesn't it? I'd prefer to try anything but it and work around whatever I have to do. Especially when he already asks about an alternative. API, WSH, ActiveX..anything. JMO

John Durbin
john@eps-software.com
MCP Visual FoxPro

Hang on baby, VFP 7.0 is coming with an improved GetDir()!
It looks/feels Win9x, including, thank heaven, a "new folder" button. Can you wait till the Fall (last release date I heard was Sep 2001).
Dan Dan Walter
DWalter@zoo.uvm.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back