Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha - Surcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremywatco

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2012
US
Hi there,

Across all our stores we charge a 3% "surcharge" to each guest check which is taxable. Currently we are doing this by setting up "Service Charge" on the order modes, which when used in a perfect world works great. However in our imperfect world its becoming an issue. What we've found is when a service charge is applied to a check there are a few things:

1. Any Comps or Promo's applied to the check do not recalculate the service charge
2. Can't find a way to exclude gift card sales, right now having servers split gift cards on to separate check and then have managers remove service charge.
3. If a service charge is removed from a check there is no way to re-apply it.

Now in brainstorming I've messed around with setting up an auto applied "gratuity" that's assigned to the revenue center. This works better and fixes almost all the items listed above.. EXCEPT

1. It appears after the subtotal and is taxed separate, which isn't a show stopper just draws attention to it.
2. Comps don't re-adjust total due.

So based on what I've listed above does anyone have any ideas on how I can charge a straight 3% to a check, exclude gift cards and allow comping and whatnot to affect it? Right now I am stumped and we are just "dealing" with it.

Thanks!

if you setup surcharge based on items and not order modes, then you solve the tax, giftcard, comp and promo issues.
Once you remove the surcharge, it cannot be reapplied.

Depending on if you have old or new Aloha manager, the steps to do each of them are a bit different.

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.

Hi AlohaRoss,

Can you elaborate? I use 6.7.x & 12.3.x.

Are you talking about the actual "Surcharge" setup within Aloha? I thought that did something funky where it was qty based or something.

What section should I be playing with.

its not easy to explain as it is to show you. I suggest we can look at when you are closed so multiple refreshes will not be a disturbance to your business.

My contact info can be found on the website

AlohaRoss

Thanks for the offer. I was able to get it all figured out for the most part and it works great. I do notice that since it applies on a per item basis and not a per check basis the rounding gets strange. But we are looking past that.

I do not see a way to remove a surcharge off a check though.. thoughts?

since it is now a tax, you could add tax exempt button. but it would remove all taxes. You may have to live with it. Or just raise all your prices by 3% and drop the surcharge

AlohaRoss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back