Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Almost Seeminly impossible problem to solve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I have gone through weeks trying several configurations, 2 different<br>motherboards, 2 different graphic adapters, several formats and<br>reinstalations of windows 98, litterally everything. I bought this<br>Athlon/600 from icompz.com and they have ignored several emails so far. you<br>can see some screenshots of the problem, and the huge listing of information about my system , which is too large to put on this forum (13 pages to be exact) <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

&lt;grin&gt; :], first off it's not AMD related , just one of those defectives people are going to come across, Intel is too overpriced, so far they just tell me to put some thermal goop/heatsink compound on it, which doesnt make since, because the heatsink is hardly warm to the touch, not overheating, I think they're trying to avoid RMA as much as possible, I was thinking If i am going to buy new, I might wait til a good Socket A board comes out, and go with a Duron (which is said to be as fast or faster than an classic Athlon) which was found at about 89$ for a 600Mhtz. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Karl, I am sure you are almost as sick of these responses as you are of the problem! However I must tell you, if you are using anything less than a 300 watt power supply with your setup, you are bound to have problems somewhere along the line.<br><br>Secondly, don't discount heat, even if the heatsink is cool. Leave the case open and place a fan close to it, just to make sure.<br><br>I presume no other problems manifest; only display? If so, it is mighty unusual for it to be a bad CPU.<br><br>Be that as it may, if you sort out your power supply and eliminate the heat, and the problem is still there, then stick to the bad CPU theory, and deal directly with AMD.<br>

I already have a 300Watt &quot;Sparkle&quot; power supply being shipped to me(&quot;sparkle&quot; is the brand that AMD says they like best) if I Still have this problem, I will bring up the issue with AMD, as for cooling, I have been keeping it cool, using the AThlon Freezer Pro(from 3dcool.com) also I attached a Peltier/heatsink/fan combo, on the top of the heatsink/CPU, just for slight added cooling from the top, that would cool down the heatsink(if it ever got that hot), and I have a fan behind the CPU blowing the air out of the case, along with a Slot fan blowing out the back, also all the cooling equipment(except the Athlon Freezer Pro) uses an external power supply) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Quick question, have you tried changing the display colors -256 only works in certain games, 32 only works in certain things too. 3d may change everything according to the game specs, jpg. specs, etc.

Almsot all the good games only do 16/32 bit color, but I have found some DirectX 5 games like Wetrix, and some screensavers that do 256 colors, same results. but its not according to a specific game, it is a hardware/system wide problem, If the 300Watt power supply doesnt fix it, I am definitly having my Athlon RMAed, one benefit of the doubt I have is the way they packaged it. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

The last reply has been sometime ago.&nbsp;&nbsp;Tell us if you got the problem solved.&nbsp;&nbsp;I also think it could be power supply related.<br>After reading this article<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> went ahead and bought a new power supply and memory when I ordered my processor.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've had zero problems.<br><br>Good Luck<br><br><br>

I got it fixed (sort of) I replaced the power supply, but that didnt fix it, then I went online and bought a Athlon/750 from Monarch Computer, replaced the Athlon/600 and it worked perfectly, the problem was the CPU the whole time, called icompz.com to confirm that it was the CPU they said they cant replace it now since I've waited past the warrenty(I'm reading on their site &quot;1 Year Warrenty CPU w/ Fan&quot;) he said that that's their policy <b>now</b> and when I bought it , it was a 45 day warrenty, those people shiped me it without an antistatic bag, and I mentioned that as well he said &quot;We ship thousands of cpus like that a month and we have never had any problems&quot; so from now on I urge anyone whose considering buying an Athlon system or the CPU to goto monarchcomputer.com , because they give a 3 year direct warrenty regardless (btw the guy I called at monarch I told him the deal with Icompz and the antistatic bags &quot;they're idiots if anyone shiped a cpu like that here, they wouldnt be working here any longer&quot;) but considering my problem is now solved, oh and the power supply I got is one of their &quot;Sparkle&quot; 300Watt power supplies also from monarch, it performs very nicely with more than enough cables to use. well thanks for your help. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Hey KB244 I know someone here in New Zealand that would love to take you on in Quake. He is the Austrialisan Champion. If you want drop me a line at <A HREF="mailto:strider@paradise.net.nz">strider@paradise.net.nz</A> and I'll pass your link onto him. He's looking for a good challenge. Hes beaten every body down here.<br><br>Steve

Glad you finally got the blasted thing worked out!!! This message has been here since the beginning of my membership here, and you've worked up quite a tally, 48!!! I guess you could've solved the problem quicker if you had that 'spare' athlon to throw in it.<br><br>But you've got it working now and that's all that matters, It must be a mighty machine now that it's fixed, and I bet you it cranks up your power bill!!<br><br>anyway, that's all I wanted to say,&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm really happy for you!!! I shall put anti-icompz stuff all over my site now!<br><br><br>&nbsp;<br> <p>R@hn<br><a href=mailto:rahn@rahn.8m.com>rahn@rahn.8m.com</a><br><a href= of R@HN'S WORLD.</a><br>Age 17.<br>
Love networks (especially my own) and tinkering around with my home machines and enjoy a good LAN Party. Program in Delphi, Linux Freak. FEAR THE PENGUIN!!!!!<br>

Well because of my job my appartment rent, plus all the utilities are paid for by my CEO :} <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

kb244 wrote:<br><br>&gt;icompz.com to confirm that it was the CPU they said they &gt;cant replace it now since I've waited past the warrenty<br>&gt;(I'm reading on their site &quot;1 Year Warrenty CPU w/ Fan&quot;) &gt;he said that that's their policy now and when I bought &gt;it , it was a 45 day warrenty<br><br>How long was it from the time you received the package till the first email you sent them complaining of the problem - <b><u>that's</u></b> the 45 day period.&nbsp;&nbsp;If that period is 45 days or less, and they won't honor the warranty they confirmed in writing (their email claim), contact the attorney general in their state.&nbsp;&nbsp;A copy to their Better Business Bureau wouldn't hurt either.&nbsp;&nbsp;And, of course, a copy (showing all copies - standard cc: line) to ICompz.<br><br>Of course if you didn't make that first complaint within the 45 days, they're in the clear.&nbsp;&nbsp;But AMD might have a longer warranty period, and they might stand behind it.&nbsp;&nbsp;(Dunno, I've never gotten a bad AMD chip.)

i must say that i,ve been reading these postings to pick up ideas and fixes for six months now, (and helping where i can of course). But hey, your problem has been almost like a mini series or something (i learned a few things too. thanx). You should get the jacket for the longest running posting!! boo to icompz. there not seeing my money!!!

trix, you do realize that I am only one of many people who have bought from them, on resellerratings.com they have a execelent rating this could mean two things, one it could mean I'm about the only person to end up with a bad chip from them, or they are voting on themselves, and the resllerrating admins have not caught it. It may be just the first thing, but myself personally am not pleased with them. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

A chip with a one year warranty and a 45 day warranty on the whole thing?&nbsp;&nbsp;Sorry that was a mistake on your part.&nbsp;&nbsp;I never order a machine without a 3 year standard warranty and every system I've purchased also has come with a 5 years replacement warrinty with on the RAM and CPU.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your biggest mistake wasn't buying from a big name brand such as Dell or Micron.&nbsp;&nbsp;Next time look at all the details and not just prices.&nbsp;&nbsp;I had a bunch of trouble with my Micron about 18 months after I purchased it, but I've never had any trouble with replacement parts and I still have a year left on the warranity.&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>Kirk Fickert<br><a href=mailto:KFICKERT@WANS.NET>KFICKERT@WANS.NET</a><br><a href= > </a><br>My $.03

um no, <b>ONLY</b> the chip, I didnt order a system from them, I only orderd the CPU, they told me that at the time I bought the CPU, it was a 45 Day warrenty, but I was looking on their site, and it said 1 Year, but they said thats they're policy <b>now</b> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back