Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Almost Seeminly impossible problem to solve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I have gone through weeks trying several configurations, 2 different<br>motherboards, 2 different graphic adapters, several formats and<br>reinstalations of windows 98, litterally everything. I bought this<br>Athlon/600 from icompz.com and they have ignored several emails so far. you<br>can see some screenshots of the problem, and the huge listing of information about my system , which is too large to put on this forum (13 pages to be exact) <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I would agree with you but until I can find the original box it came in, I cannot do an RMA with them. Since the CPU is the only remaining factor that has not been replaced, I Assume this must be the problem, as I know some of the newer chips, or evern as old as the Pentium series can fry a certain part of say the higher functions, and the chip still works fine on all standard usage. I was going to hold out until the thunderBird K8 came out, but unfortunatly VIA recently announched their VIA KX133 athlon chipset will not be compatible on the release of the new K8, which means yet another chipset, and motherboard platform will have to be created.&nbsp;&nbsp;When I finally replace the chip, I'll post back and see if it was secessful or not(if not I'll just build another athlon system, which will probally be flawless because all new componets will be added) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Take a look at your system resources which was down to 46%.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have at many times had my resources too low and my games would barely fucntion.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since you have Windows98 then go to the system tools and then the system information.&nbsp;&nbsp;Use the tools menu then system configuration utility.&nbsp;&nbsp;Click the far right tab which says startup and uncheck everything but&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;System Tray&nbsp;&nbsp;and Load Power Profile.&nbsp;&nbsp;This should bring your resources up to about 90-95%.&nbsp;&nbsp;This should be done first before anything else.&nbsp;&nbsp;With the resources so low, I have seen many programs even refuse to start let alone run properly and this can affect graphics also.&nbsp;&nbsp;Try this and reply back to <A HREF="mailto:newgamer@home.com">newgamer@home.com</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I work in CD-Rom Tech Support at InfoUSA.

However it has done this even from a Rock Core instalation of Win98, with nothing in stalled on it. (As I have mentioned doing several different type of instalation options when I Formated)<br><br>I sent an RMA request about the athlon just to be sure. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I have had the very same problem with a 600 Althon not too long ago. Sure enough it was the high functions within the CPU. Plus two of the sticks of PC133 RAM with not running to specs. <br>My advice is to replace the CPU and RAM with fresh hardware from the supplier.

Rams already been replaced, still waiting on RMA reply about the Athlon, they never replied yet.(they've been holding me out past my warenty point) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Are any of the power supplies you have tried on AMD's list of approved supplies.&nbsp;&nbsp;The Athlon is somewhat demanding of the supply because of the large current draw.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just because two different, (non-Athlon approved) did not cause the system to work properly does not rule out the supply.<br><br>I have to say that the vendor,&nbsp;&nbsp;icompz.com, lack of support does nothing to encourage us readers to want to shop there!!!<br><br>Paul <p>Paul J. Stiles<br><a href=mailto:stilespj@mindspring.com>stilespj@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

hmm, I have a 250Watt, but not sure if I need to buy a 300Watt Power supply. I mean after all I seem to have a pretty demanding video card, but the AMD K6-2 I had wasnt as demanding with the power supply so going to try to get a little bit more powerful supply. (or power all the HDD on the second power supply. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

OK first of all 46% System Resources is not normal.<br><br>Second, you are&nbsp;&nbsp;not going to like what I'm going to say next. GET RID OF ALL THAT CRAP. No I don't mean the hardware, get rid of all that crap you have running in the background- (stop them from autoloading, preloading, and/or auto-running)<br>get rid of all the Norton Stuff; CleanSweep, CrashGuard, SysDoc, SymTray, PopProxey etc ...<br>Get rid of all your messengers, MSN Messenger, ICQ, etc...<br>Get rid of all your MS-Office 'preloads' including FastFind<br>There are even a few Windows OS preloads that don't have to be there.<br>Get rid of your RealPalyer 'preload'<br>Your running MS Internet Information Server??????? Really? Why?<br>What's DRMON SmartAgent?? Why is it running?<br><br>With all this 'stuff' running there is no way you can isolate the problem. Get your system down to a full boot to Windows minus all this un-necessary crap. Then you might have some hope of isolating the problem. The way it stands now, you can't even begin to analyse this problem when you have so many complications added to the equation.<br><br>If the VIA Bus Mastering IDE drivers were autodetected by Windows and install then they are probably OK, BUT if YOU installed them, I would recommend UNinstalling them until your system is stable. Yuo can't just delete them, you have to run the program tha installed them and use it to uninstall them.<br><br>Make sure you have PROPERLY install the VIA chipset drivers minus IDE Bus Master as noted above.<br><br>How tightly do you have your system 'Tweeked'. Try more conservative settings in the BIOS/CMOS Setup until you have a stable system. How about Motherboard 'tweeking', Try setting the FSB to match you base CPU speed or 100Mhz which ever is less, and set the SDRAM for non-PC100, again just until you get the system stable and running right then you can start trying to optimize it.<br><br>I'm not saying lose these things all together, but get rid of anything that isn't necesary until you get your system running properly then add back the ones you really need.

I have tried several settings, and if you havent noticed, I had mentioned that the problem has occured even on a fresh install of Win98 with nothing installed. and When I had it in both &quot;FailSafe&quot; settings and &quot;Optimal&quot; settings of the stuff, two different Motherboards (an Irongate chipset board, and a VIA Chipset board) no offence but you need to read more closely. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I had a serious display problem once after upgrading systems and it turned out the problem was with my monitor unable to handle the&nbsp;&nbsp;higher refresh rates. Just a possibility??

if you seen the screeshots at the URL, that is in no way a Monitor refresh problem, if it were, viewing an windowed mpeg, wouldnt just affect the mpeg window, but the whole screen, I can see things fine, but the graphics are messed up from different applications to applications, look at the screenshots in the URL of my original post, its not a monitor refresh problem) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

OK, you're obviously very frustrated. From what I've been reading, you're an AMD supporter. Now tell me, I don't know what chipsets are on graphic cards nowadays, but do both these cards have nVIDIA chipsets? <br><br>I've just upgraded a machine to a AMD k6-2 500MHz w/ nVIDIA Vanta TNT2 AGP card and am having endless problems with it (Just posted a message, give it a read).<br><br>Your graphics look similar to mine, even though yours is a model higher than mine in both CPU and Graphics. If you haven't already, try every, and I mean every possible piece of hardware in a celeron system, IE, slip out the K7 mobo and chip, and slide in a celeron or other intel architecture. see if that solves the problem.<br><br>All that I can offer is that I know numerous people that have problems with AMD and nVIDIA combos, but once they switch to the intel architecture, even though it doesn't have 3DNow! and other things like that, openGL and associated extentions work flawlessly.<br><br>Hope this helps you.<br> <p>R@hn<br><a href=mailto:rahnmorphius@one.net.au>rahnmorphius@one.net.au</a><br><a href= my personal site.</a><br>Age 17.<br>
Builder of many PC machines, owner of 7+ currently. Experienced in Hardware and concepts ranging from the humble PC/XT to the mighty(?) Pentium. Enjoy tinkering with my home network. Linux rules!! LAN PARTIES ARE A MUST!! FEAR THE PENGUIN!!!

to answer your question I've tried 4 different video cards, a Voodoo1 6meg(3dfx), a old SiS 4Meg PCI adapter, a Elsa exrazor X2(Geforce/Nvidia), a TNt2 Ultra(Nvidia), its obviously the Athlon CPU, it's must have been damaged during shipping, all the cards I listed above worked perfectly on my AMD K6-2/450, and I've never had a problem, until icompz.com shiped me an athlon that wasnt inside an antistatic bag, I know its not a driver problem, such as in windows, because I've tried several old 3d games in dos, like Quake, Terminal Velocity and so on, they all showed similar signs, I am not fustrated until I can no longer use the CPU for nothing(I can use it for about anything except for games, and nice graphics applications[3D]) icompz.com says my CPU might be overheating, I've been running it since the day I had it, the CPU nor Heatsink, is every very hot, or even warm to the touch, I got it getting cooled rather well. read some post above for more details that I have mentioned, in the meantime I am trying to get an RMA on this athlon CPU. (if not i'll upgrade to a ThunderBird or Duron, since they're faster, and suprisinly cheaper) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

I say you take some english courses instead of playing games on the computer.

Junkman: Computers, if they don't already, will control your daily lifestyle. speed-typers are allowed to make mistakes. Besides, games relieve tension! (cheer from the audience!).<br><br>Anyway, KB244, I would have to conclude with your theory as well, not being in an anti-static bag and all, and also working in another AMD config, AND also having tried different chipsets in different busses. see if you can sell it to someone and at least get some of your money back and buy one of those Durons or Thunderbirds (AMD release chips quickly don't they?). anyway, I'm sorry I couln't be of more help - I hope things work out for you.<br><br> <p>R@hn<br><a href=mailto:rahnmorphius@one.net.au>rahnmorphius@one.net.au</a><br><a href= my personal site.</a><br>Age 17.<br>
Builder of many PC machines, owner of 7+ currently. Experienced in Hardware and concepts ranging from the humble PC/XT to the mighty(?) Pentium. Enjoy tinkering with my home network. Linux rules!! LAN PARTIES ARE A MUST!! FEAR THE PENGUIN!!!

thanks for the comment Rahn, and junkman, wana take me in Quake3? (hehe :} ) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

The processor might not have been necesarly dammaged in shipping. But I will not disagree that you have a <b>BAD PROCESSOR</b>. My suggestion is if you can sell the processor and get the Thunderbird. And make sure that you MEM PC100 or PC133 is jumppered appropiatly on the MB and BTW you <b><u>WILL</b></u> have to buy a new MB if you go with the Thunderbird

thanks for the <b>BOLD</b> reply, and I am quite aware of the thunderbird and Duron(spitfire) read all about them already, and I do belive its the processor(or maybe you havent been reading enough), I've tried 2 different motherboard(different chipsets), 4 different video cards, 2 different sets of rams, several configurations of win98 instalations, formats reboots, linux and NT/2000 uninstallable, problem occurs in Dos modes as well. It would seem the only factor that has not been eliminated was the athlon, and oh did I mention that in every configuration, every changes, the problem was exactly the same as before. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Oh and I will not need a new motherboard, AMD is releasing Slot A Thunderbirds, that are supposibly compatible with the KX133, but they say it would be compatible with their old Irongate chipset, though they will recomend using their Socket A format, (KT133, is a KX133 only with Socket A support) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Gee Karl, you programmer types sure do like to do things the hard way. I pegged the CPU thing on the 22nd. With all the time, money and frustration you could have built an Intel-platformed machine and saved yourself all this grief. I mean 38 posts! That's gotta be some kinda record!<br><br>Maybe you should go back to Nintendo- pushing those carts in and out shouldn't be too hard.<br><br>just kidding- contact me if you have problems with the processor RMA, I may be able to help you out.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back